Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Sewing Extension Table (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/sewing-extension-table-t41371.html)

MarthaVA 04-01-2010 04:40 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I decided to get creative, and make my own extension table. I wasn't ready to pay over $100 just for one that was only going to extend the space a little bit.

So, this is my new extension table that I made, all by myself.

This is when its up against the machine. I will add more photos after I publish the first time.

You know the old saying, "measure twice, cut once." Well, I measured the machine and that part is all well and good. But, I forgot to measure the table! So the table my machine used to be on, was too narrow (front to back) to put my new extension table on. LOL :P Luckily I had another table to use, and its perfect as far as width.

The pieces can be arranged and rearranged to what ever works
[ATTACH=CONFIG]39835[/ATTACH]

Heavy duty velcro strips hold the sections together
[ATTACH=CONFIG]39836[/ATTACH]

Pre-cut PVC with smooth bottoms - glued on
[ATTACH=CONFIG]39837[/ATTACH]

CraftsByRobin 04-01-2010 04:43 AM

WOW ... AWESOME ... I need to do something similar ... but still awaiting inspiration to hit :)

paintedquilt 04-01-2010 04:44 AM

What an excellent job :!:

MarthaVA 04-01-2010 04:47 AM

Wow, I barely got this up and you guys responded already! Thanks! :-) I had the lady at Lowes cut one piece to get the piece in front. Then just used the leftover piece, and one other whole piece to put the rest together. It's portable, sturdy, and it really works! LOL. The legs are just pvc that is pre-cut - my machine is about 3" high, and these legs were just short of that, but with the height of the plexi on top, its almost level - not that far off that it makes a difference.

And, its portable so I can take it anywhere with me (a little bulky but not that heavy).

And it didn't cost that much.

nana2 04-01-2010 04:50 AM

This is great!!!!!!!!! I will be looking into getting something like this set up. You are right the "bought" ones are way too small. Also great way to make a light box!!!!!!! Could use some of those LED lights thats that are battery operated!!!!!!!!

sewnsewer2 04-01-2010 05:41 AM

Good job!

DebraK 04-01-2010 05:58 AM

Can you round the corners so the quilt doesn't get hung up? You look like a can do person to me ;-) Very clever.

beachlady 04-01-2010 06:06 AM

I was wondering about the corners too - are they smoothed out or sharp? Great job! Are you going to take orders?

quiltlady 04-01-2010 06:09 AM

great idea- I have a question - how stable is it when manipulating a quilt over it. Looks like the supports would shift around. Do you have rubber on the bottom and top of the pvc pipe to keep it steady?

Jingle 04-01-2010 06:18 AM

Good for you -- if it works. I bought a large one and only used it once, quilt kept getting hung up on it, took a smaller one to Goodwill.