Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   split rail with pinwheel accent and question about borders (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/split-rail-pinwheel-accent-question-about-borders-t198924.html)

Marcia_PA 08-28-2012 11:04 AM

split rail with pinwheel accent and question about borders

2 Attachment(s)
I have this top together and need to decide on the borders. I'm making it a queen size. Do you think the flower fabric accent for one of the borders is too weird? I was planning on a thin border next to the blocks, then two other borders, 4 or 5 inches each.

QuiltnNan 08-28-2012 11:19 AM

I lik the look of the borders in the last picture

irishrose 08-28-2012 11:49 AM

I like the two outside borders, but I'd like the narrow one a more defined color - like the dark blue in pinwheels. It needs to contain the colors in the quilt so they don't bleed. That smoky blue blends a little too well, IMO. I love the happy flower border and the blue outer is good, too.

blondeslave 08-28-2012 11:50 AM

I like your border choices. The quilt is lovely!

Sewfine 08-28-2012 11:56 AM

Beautiful quilt. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Marcia_PA 08-28-2012 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 5474623)
I like the two outside borders, but I'd like the narrow one a more defined color - like the dark blue in pinwheels. It needs to contain the colors in the quilt so they don't bleed. That smoky blue blends a little too well, IMO. I love the happy flower border and the blue outer is good, too.

Thanks everyone. Irishrose, I was thinking about a dark navy blue for the narrow border, or a deeper brown than the other browns in the quilt, but thought I'd see if I could get away with the fabric I already had :) The blue in the pinwheels is a little too light of a royal blue and doesn't set off some of the other blues in the split rail enough. Guess there's more fabric shopping in my future!

Grandma Bonnie 08-28-2012 12:40 PM

I love your quilt but I'm no help with the borders.

char634w 08-28-2012 02:46 PM

Good job, it looks terrific and I love your color choices. I like the borders too. Thanks for sharing.

Jan in VA 08-28-2012 03:18 PM

The floral border is wonderful with the quilt.
My mantra.....If YOU aren't doing the work, the fabric has to. It means, when the piecing is simple (what is more simple than a rail fence?!) then the fabric can be busy to add texture, movement, and interest to the quilt. (Thank you, Mary Ellen Hopkins for that bit of wisdom:))

Jan in VA

ube quilting 08-28-2012 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Marcia_PA (Post 5474676)
Thanks everyone. Irishrose, I was thinking about a dark navy blue for the narrow border, or a deeper brown than the other browns in the quilt, but thought I'd see if I could get away with the fabric I already had :) The blue in the pinwheels is a little too light of a royal blue and doesn't set off some of the other blues in the split rail enough. Guess there's more fabric shopping in my future!

I like the way you have it set up. The blue borders look fine and the floral add a nice touch.