Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Started practicing on my Juki & frame (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/started-practicing-my-juki-frame-t152145.html)

Debbie B 09-11-2011 12:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I posted a couple of days ago that I bought a Juki & frame off craigslist and would post some pictures when I got it all set up. My room is only 10' 6" x 12' and it takes up 1/2 my room, but I love it. I think I probably have every nook & corner filled. I put some furniture sliders under it so I can push it back against the wall if not in use. I put some fabric on that I knew I'd never use & started practicing this afternoon. It sews like a dream. I do need lots of practice to control my stitches, but I think I'm really going to like it. Thanks to everyone for the advise...really helped.

Prism99 09-11-2011 01:16 PM

Looks like tons of fun! What frame is that?

Debbie B 09-11-2011 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Looks like tons of fun! What frame is that?

It's the little Gracie II frame with a Juki Tl 98 Q. It will take up to a queen size quilt, but not king. I would not have been able to fit a frame that does a king in my room. So far, it has been tons of fun! I'm going to have to get busy & make a quilt or table runner to quilt.

Darlene 09-11-2011 01:30 PM

It looks good and good luck. I could never do that.

PaperPrincess 09-11-2011 01:44 PM

Looks great! Maybe someone else with this frame can advise you but I was told to put the side clamps only on the backing fabric, not the batting or top. Your frame might be different, but you may want to check.

Looks like you're going to have fun!!!

Debbie B 09-11-2011 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Looks great! Maybe someone else with this frame can advise you but I was told to put the side clamps only on the backing fabric, not the batting or top. Your frame might be different, but you may want to check.

Thank you for noticing that. I'm new to this and appreciate all the advise I can get. Will go change it right now.

RkayD 09-11-2011 02:16 PM

I like the slider idea! I have never even thought of that but it makes perfect sense. ~Thank You!

SWEETPEACHES 09-11-2011 02:28 PM

I am so jealous!!!! Enjoy!

sewnsewer2 09-11-2011 02:30 PM

Congrats! Don't forget to oil it often.

TrenbeathRanch 09-11-2011 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess

Princess is half right...don't apply the side tension to the top. However, DO use it on the backing AND batting, but before you apply side tension at all, you should stabilize the three layers together. Should you apply the side tension now, without having the sides sewn together, you will be pulling the backing fabric taught, while no tension is on the top fabric. The result will be a really wonky quilt. "Stabilizing" is merely sewing or basting the layers, so that they don't shift separately. Did that make sense?