Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Trouble with the floral Bargello...1/2 done, but uneven at the end... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/trouble-floral-bargello-1-2-done-but-uneven-end-t110159.html)

barnbum 03-23-2011 04:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This didn't happen with the first Bargello I made, but there's one thing I forgot to do in the first 1/4 because I was excited to get some done to see how it'd look...I forgot to sew rows from opposite ends. Is that what caused this uneven end? :|
I finished the 2nd half today and did alternate the sewing, and maybe the second half isn't as bad?

1. How can I prevent this from happening for the next half?

2. How should I fix it? Once it's all together, just square it off where I can?

one half done--look at the bottom side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]174020[/ATTACH]

Sigh...it looks like most the trouble is with the skinny rows.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]174021[/ATTACH]

All the other sides are straight.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]174022[/ATTACH]

Lori S 03-23-2011 04:49 PM

It looks like you may have stretched a few seams while pressing. You may want to mist it , and block it back into shape.

barnbum 03-23-2011 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
It looks like you may have stretched a few seams while pressing. You may want to mist it , and block it back into shape.

Thanks for your help. How do I block it?

Chele 03-23-2011 04:51 PM

You might be able to block that side to get it in line. It's not that off. It sure is a beauty.

erstan947 03-23-2011 04:53 PM

Others may have better ideas but I think I would get it wet and then lay a sheet on the carpet and pin the section to the size you need to be square/even and let it air dry. I'm confident you will work it out:)

fabric_fancy 03-23-2011 04:56 PM

i would wait until the entire quilt is finished and then block it.

the sections that are too long use spray starch to reduce the size and the sections that are too short use water to increase the length.

i typically do this on a floor but you can also block on a wall - its all a matter of where you have enough space to lay out the quilt.

barnbum 03-23-2011 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
Others may have better ideas but I think I would get it wet and then lay a sheet on the carpet and pin the section to the size you need to be square/even and let it air dry. I'm confident you will work it out:)

Ahhh..so that's what blocking is? Thanks! I wonder if I should do it now...or wait until the rest is on? Do I just kind of squish it up into place and pin?

Ironing... yes--that's possible I stretched it. I'll be more careful!! Thanks for that reminder.

BluegrassGurl 03-23-2011 04:59 PM

That is a beautiful quilt!!

barnbum 03-23-2011 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
i would wait until the entire quilt is finished and then block it.

the sections that are too long use spray starch to reduce the size and the sections that are too short use water to increase the length.

i typically do this on a floor but you can also block on a wall - its all a matter of where you have enough space to lay out the quilt.

Okay!! Great! Thank you! I think I only have sections that are too short ...but wetting the other will help them to compromise? This is only a wall hanging, so it should fit wherever I need it to.

I appreciate your help! I was bumming. :|

Jingle 03-23-2011 05:04 PM

So far it is beautiful, can't wait to see it finished.