Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Wagon Wheel (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/wagon-wheel-t183834.html)

Rosyhf 03-23-2012 08:26 PM

Wagon Wheel

4 Attachment(s)
I was so happy and excited to start this quilt and then to my utter dismay, because I didn't follow my rules of: Make one block to test the pattern, I did a lot of work for nothing. Oh well, Here is a story for you.

I saw a sample of the Wagon Wheel in the Confetti book that I just made the, Sunshine and Windmills, out of. It's just a picture, no pattern and I figured I could figure it out and it reminded me of the spiderweb I made some time ago. I pulled out my trusty template and all the Aunt Gracie fabrics I have and started to tear strips, trace the template and cut the patches out.

I cut many patches.

judy363905 03-23-2012 08:33 PM

Just Love Aunt Grace Fabrics

I just love Aunt Grace fabrics,.looks like you came up with a great idea..Have fun with alll those lovely colors.

Judy in Phx, AZ

BETTY62 03-23-2012 08:37 PM

I love your fabric.

Rosyhf 03-23-2012 08:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
After I made the block, I realized that I needed to have a hexagon shaped block.

I then decided to start over. I know I can use that first block and the other patches that I cut, to make pillows etc for the same quilt. I plan to make a king size, summer quilt, The size of the block will finish at 16.5, so it will go fast.

I searched Block Base for a hex with 12 wedges and found one. It is #272. I pulled it into EQ and deleted all the parts except for three templates and changed them to size 19 in EQ. The templates were the perfect size.

This block has a button in the middle. I cut just a few patches this time lol..I made the block and decided to put the button on too. For the button I picked a blue like in the book. I traced the template and sewed on iron on interfacing (the cloth kind that you iron behind a t-shirt block). I made a slit in the interfacing and turned the button right side out. I then ironed the button on and sew around it on the sewing machine. I love the block.

These blocks are sewed together like a Grandmother's Flower Garden.

Here is a pic of my mistake block and then the first hex and then the hex with it's button.....

BizzieLizzie 03-24-2012 01:42 AM

Very pretty. Love to see the finished quilt. Hopefully the pieces that you have already cut can be used too? Best wishes.

quiltingranny 03-24-2012 05:48 AM

I love your fabric choices and can't wait to see the finished product!!

mighty 03-24-2012 06:33 AM

Beautiful, hope to see the finished project.

Tartan 03-24-2012 08:04 AM

I am glad you are finishing it after your error because it is going to be beautiful! I love your fabric and they will look great with the old fashioned pattern. A lot of work but some of the old patterns are just so pretty!

Rosyhf 03-24-2012 09:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, I agree, some of the old patterns are so pretty and actually timeless. The minute I saw it, I wanted to make it. I finished 5 blocks so far. It looks like I only need to make 36 or 49, for a king size, depending on how it looks on the bed when I try it.

The blocks are finishing at 17.5 inches and will finish at 17, so it shouldn't take much longer since I made my mistakes already lol. I love the blue buttons in the middle. I know I will have to cut half the blocks off to square the quilt or maybe not. Maybe I will just let it be a hex border, that would be different.

huntannette 03-24-2012 09:08 AM

oh wow....such patience...it will look awesome..can`t wait to see it all finished!!

Originally Posted by Rosyhf (Post 5086128)
After I made the block, I realized that I needed to have a hexagon shaped block.

I then decided to start over. I know I can use that first block and the other patches that I cut, to make pillows etc for the same quilt. I plan to make a king size, summer quilt, The size of the block will finish at 16.5, so it will go fast.

I searched Block Base for a hex with 12 wedges and found one. It is #272. I pulled it into EQ and deleted all the parts except for three templates and changed them to size 19 in EQ. The templates were the perfect size.

This block has a button in the middle. I cut just a few patches this time lol..I made the block and decided to put the button on too. For the button I picked a blue like in the book. I traced the template and sewed on iron on interfacing (the cloth kind that you iron behind a t-shirt block). I made a slit in the interfacing and turned the button right side out. I then ironed the button on and sew around it on the sewing machine. I love the block.

These blocks are sewed together like a Grandmother's Flower Garden.

Here is a pic of my mistake block and then the first hex and then the hex with it's button.....