Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Whole Grain Oats - a Manly quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/whole-grain-oats-manly-quilt-t185335.html)

JenniePenny 04-07-2012 01:04 PM

Whole Grain Oats - a Manly quilt

3 Attachment(s)
This quilt will eventually be given to a special man in our community, Joe. Joe has been volunteering with the Boy Scouts for over ten years, mentoring and sharing all kinds of great experiences with the boys, helping them to keep on the right track throughout adolescence. My own son is working to attain Eagle Scout, and Joe has been instrumental in all of this.
So I've got this quilt in progress. It uses a variety of tans, browns, and reds from my stash. This was more difficult than it really should have been, only because my machine needed to go for service after I had made a few blocks, and then I figured I would continue sewing using a back-up machine. I could not get the seam allowance consistent on the two machines.
This just reminds me of a bowl of oatmeal with strawberries or apples. Hearty and good, just like Joe. I envision quilting some big swirls of 'cinnamon' in the big open areas.

javin22 04-07-2012 01:07 PM

I really like that. it looks like a simple design and it turned out so nice. I like your color choices too.

ckcowl 04-07-2012 01:09 PM

that is BEAUTIFUL! great job- and you would never know you had problems between the 2 machines-
Joe is going to be so Honored and appreciative of such a wonderful gift!

CRELLA 04-07-2012 01:16 PM

I should make my husband one of them he has had throat cancer an has a feeding tube the only thing he can eat is oats with apple sause has lived on them for 13 years an now is fighting prostate cancer pray for him please where can i get the pattern thanks crella
it is so purdy love the colors

BrendaK 04-07-2012 01:16 PM

Love your story and your quilt. BrendaK

alfosa421 04-07-2012 01:19 PM

Wow What a labor of love! How wonderful to hear that there are still good people out there doing good things for our children.

JenniePenny 04-07-2012 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by CRELLA (Post 5124058)
I should make my husband one of them he has had throat cancer an has a feeding tube the only thing he can eat is oats with apple sause has lived on them for 13 years an now is fighting prostate cancer pray for him please where can i get the pattern thanks crella
it is so purdy love the colors

I will definitely pray for him, and I can send you my pattern. For everybody else, the pattern was called Apple Crisp and it appeared in American Patchwork and Quilting, Oct 2010. The only difference is that they used snowball blocks where I kept the big blocks.

Susan G. 04-07-2012 01:44 PM

Very nice!!!

vickimc 04-07-2012 03:19 PM

great quilt. My husband has been with the scouts for years. and our son is and Eagle.

QM 04-07-2012 03:29 PM

That has worked very well.