Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole Grain Oats - a Manly quilt

Whole Grain Oats - a Manly quilt

This quilt will eventually be given to a special man in our community, Joe. Joe has been volunteering with the Boy Scouts for over ten years, mentoring and sharing all kinds of great experiences with the boys, helping them to keep on the right track throughout adolescence. My own son is working to attain Eagle Scout, and Joe has been instrumental in all of this.
    So I've got this quilt in progress. It uses a variety of tans, browns, and reds from my stash. This was more difficult than it really should have been, only because my machine needed to go for service after I had made a few blocks, and then I figured I would continue sewing using a back-up machine. I could not get the seam allowance consistent on the two machines.
    This just reminds me of a bowl of oatmeal with strawberries or apples. Hearty and good, just like Joe. I envision quilting some big swirls of 'cinnamon' in the big open areas.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

I really like that. it looks like a simple design and it turned out so nice. I like your color choices too.

Blog Entries
    that is BEAUTIFUL! great job- and you would never know you had problems between the 2 machines-
    Joe is going to be so Honored and appreciative of such a wonderful gift!
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I should make my husband one of them he has had throat cancer an has a feeding tube the only thing he can eat is oats with apple sause has lived on them for 13 years an now is fighting prostate cancer pray for him please where can i get the pattern thanks crella
    it is so purdy love the colors

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Love your story and your quilt. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Blog Entries
    Wow What a labor of love! How wonderful to hear that there are still good people out there doing good things for our children.

Quote Originally Posted by CRELLA View Post
    I should make my husband one of them he has had throat cancer an has a feeding tube the only thing he can eat is oats with apple sause has lived on them for 13 years an now is fighting prostate cancer pray for him please where can i get the pattern thanks crella
    it is so purdy love the colors
    I will definitely pray for him, and I can send you my pattern. For everybody else, the pattern was called Apple Crisp and it appeared in American Patchwork and Quilting, Oct 2010. The only difference is that they used snowball blocks where I kept the big blocks.

Very nice!!!

great quilt. My husband has been with the scouts for years. and our son is and Eagle.
    Vicki Mc in SC
    www.jacksonpatchquilt.blogspot.com

QM
    That has worked very well.

Love the quilt and will be appreciated for the gift.

Quote Originally Posted by vickimc View Post
    great quilt. My husband has been with the scouts for years. and our son is and Eagle.
    I take my hat off to your husband and son! Lots of community involvement and hard work!

Oh, that is beautiful!!! Great job.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Blog Entries
    JennyPenny, i absolutely love this quilt. my son, too, is a boy scout, currently working on Life...goal for this is September. (He has to have life to get his driving permit and he turns 15 in Sept.) I have not yet started a gift for his mentor, but am truly inspired by yours. thank you so much for sharing.

Wonderful. I am sure Joe will treasure it for many many years. I will also pray CRELLA's husband. God bless both of you ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniePenny View Post
    This quilt will eventually be given to a special man in our community, Joe. Joe has been volunteering with the Boy Scouts for over ten years, mentoring and sharing all kinds of great experiences with the boys, helping them to keep on the right track throughout adolescence. My own son is working to attain Eagle Scout, and Joe has been instrumental in all of this.
    So I've got this quilt in progress. It uses a variety of tans, browns, and reds from my stash. This was more difficult than it really should have been, only because my machine needed to go for service after I had made a few blocks, and then I figured I would continue sewing using a back-up machine. I could not get the seam allowance consistent on the two machines.
    This just reminds me of a bowl of oatmeal with strawberries or apples. Hearty and good, just like Joe. I envision quilting some big swirls of 'cinnamon' in the big open areas.
    Mary Ellen Hopkins said you should always use the same machine throughout the quilt because of the seam allowances.
    I guess she was right. Your quilt is beautiful and just perfect for a man. He will love it.
    Lord, please keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

Bless Joe for doing all he does with the boy scouts. This is a gorgeous quilt. Thanks for sharing.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Banned
    Blog Entries
    very nice...I love craisins in my oatmeal, with cinnamon...looks just like this!
    Thanks for sharing, and thanks for understanding what JOE means to the community!

RDM
    Blog Entries
    Very nice "manly" quilt and you were wonderful to make it in honor of Joe's long time contribution to his community.

Very nice manly quilt. He will love it.!
    Bring Your Conscious awareness to the source of loving and Caring

Your quilt is amazing!

OMG! I LOVE that quilt! And I know Joe will, too! The colors? Fabulous! The pattern? Fabulous! The whoel ball of wax? Fabulous! PLEASE post again when you finish this baby up, OK? And p. s... thanks to you, now I'm hungry for apple crisp... LOL!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Love it! Perfect for a man! Joe will love it, and if he doesn't....I'll take it! I LOVE scrappy!!!
    http://www.appalachianquilts.blogspot.com
    http://www.quiltweb.net

love your quilt and color choices, hope you will post pics after its quilted.

I love it! The scrappy nature of the cream-ivory-tan really makes this one special!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast