Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Why is it... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/why-t46370.html)

FLEnglishTeacher 05-18-2010 08:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
that every time I start a quilt it turns out to be HUGE by the time I'm done? I guess if I would find a pattern and stick to it instead of just having an idea and building it as I go that wouldn't be an issue. This is the current status of a "Trip Around the World" I'm doing for a friend. Now all I have to do is copy the lower right corner to the other three and back it.

earthwalker 05-18-2010 08:30 PM

Big is beautiful, and useful and your quilt is looking great...that's why!

Pam 05-18-2010 08:33 PM

If it is any consolation, I do not use patterns either. I just start with an idea, block, ect and go with it.

FLEnglishTeacher 05-18-2010 08:35 PM

earthwalker, I love your avatar! I have decided that my life goal is to reproduce Starry, Starry Night in quilt form. I need a little more practice, though. Seeing that print makes me happy.

earthwalker 05-19-2010 12:31 AM

Yep, mine too, along with "Crows over the Wheatfield" and "Sunflowers"...I have to finish my EPP Grandmother's Garden first...and a few other works in progress.

ann clare 05-19-2010 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by FLEnglishTeacher
that every time I start a quilt it turns out to be HUGE by the time I'm done? I guess if I would find a pattern and stick to it instead of just having an idea and building it as I go that wouldn't be an issue. This is the current status of a "Trip Around the World" I'm doing for a friend. Now all I have to do is copy the lower right corner to the other three and back it.

Did you not know that quilting is addictive? Nobody else will have a quilt like your one. I love your colors. Keep the pictures coming.

Quilt4u 05-19-2010 01:33 AM

Been there and done that. Maybe because I love the pattern so much that I want it bigger.

ckcowl 05-19-2010 03:26 AM

i know how you feel, the first year of quilting my quits would grow and grow, i didn't seem to be able to figure out when to stop...my daughter's wedding quilt is 12 feet x 14 feet...a huge quilt...my son's grew even more...i have spent the past few years really working on keeping my quilts within boundaries!!!
one way that has worked for me is...
if i'm planning a queen size quilt i start with the exact top measurement of the queen mattress, and make my design fit that measurement exactly, then i decide how to frame it and borders to give it the hang/ tuck measurements i want it to have...every quilt i make i have to really measure and plan each step of the way, otherwise i get very carried away...i tell everyone i am very (un-disaplined) every quilt is a lesson in control :)

CarrieAnne 05-19-2010 03:56 AM

Its a really nice quilt!

sharon b 05-19-2010 05:31 AM

Love the colors :thumbup: I can see why you would want it bigger, the hard part for me would be letting it go :wink: