Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Will the Real 15 clone please stand up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/will-real-15-clone-please-stand-up-t164361.html)

miriam 03-05-2012 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5035088)
Well Miriam and Joe, I didn't have to use anything but sewing machine oil to un-stick the Electra. I soaked her with sewing machine oil for 4 days. I kept trying to turn her wheel with no luck until last night. Last night I got the wheel to make a half turn. Today when I tried, I did a whole very slow and stiff turn. I oiled again, set her in the sun and tonight she is fully funtional! I haven't threaded her yet to see if she sews, but I have no reason to think she wouldn't sew! It amazes me how stuck that machine was from just neglect. No rust. Just dried up oil, or probably no oil was ever applied to her!

Nanchy

Yup it doesn't take much to get them moving does it? The dried up oil can dissolve and there she goes! I bet the sunbath didn't hurt one little bit. I did that with a Bernina. Put it in the car for a while on a hot day. It moved nice and free until it got cold. At least I knew it would move. Then I kept at the oil - you want to wipe off excess oil... just keep it in the joints. Some times it helps to turn the machine different directions so the oil will flow into those joints.

J Miller 03-06-2012 07:56 AM

Nancy,

Glad you got it freed up. When I brought my Franklin home it wouldn't hardly move. It took a lot of effort for little result. I hosed it with Liquid Wrench and in a little while she was spinning freely. Now with oil and cleaning she sews soooo easy. Which is good, cos Mrs. Franklin is a treadle machine.

Joe

grannysewer 04-02-2012 05:38 AM

I have a Commander that has some bare wires coming from the motor, would those be very hard to redo? Otherwise, he's in great shape.

miriam 04-02-2012 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by grannysewer (Post 5109972)
I have a Commander that has some bare wires coming from the motor, would those be very hard to redo? Otherwise, he's in great shape.

Just get a different motor and wires - there is a screw that holds the motor on - unscrew it and put the new one on and adjust your belt.

grannysewer 04-02-2012 03:42 PM

Can the motor be rewired?

miriam 04-02-2012 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by grannysewer (Post 5111527)
Can the motor be rewired?

probably if you know what you are doing. Bennett does that kind of thing - send a pm

grannysewer 04-02-2012 04:07 PM

I would like to keep the motor if it still runs since it has the sears name on it. My husband is handy with electrical stuff, I think I going to try and get him to work on it. Thanks

miriam 04-02-2012 04:12 PM

sew classic has wires

miriam 04-04-2012 05:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is one I found - it looks almost like new. I have found that the ones that look like they were never used probably weren't (duh) but they usually have some issue or another - probably WHY they weren't ever used. This one had some tension problems and the bobbin case pops out all the time. Once it was adjusted it sews very nice. BTW it is not missing the slide plate - it is just so shiny and it just reflects the fabric real well [ATTACH=CONFIG]325289[/ATTACH]

Christine- 04-04-2012 05:40 PM

In my 15-91 adjusters manual Singer says to use kerosene to clean out darkened, thick oil or grease. If Singer say it's ok it must not hurt the machines at all.

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5030255)
Nancy,

Here is a trick I've used on a couple machines that were really badly gummed up. Use Hoppe's #9 gun cleaning solvent.
It's mostly kerosene with some additional ingredients. It works very well for cleaning the yellow brown oil and nicotine off of the chrome parts. And limited contact won't hurt ..... as least it hasn't hurt any of mine .... the paint or decals.

I use it mostly to removed the old oil from the presser foot and needle bar.

Joe