Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Will the Real 15 clone please stand up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/will-real-15-clone-please-stand-up-t164361.html)

miriam 11-26-2016 06:55 AM

The Monarch has some very neat features, well worth visiting - title is will the odd Japanese 15 clone please stand up...

loucos 11-30-2016 07:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone,

I am new to the board and wanted to contribute to this thread with my SHMEN treadle sewing machine.
I am desperately trying to find out more about this machine.
It is definitely a clone 15 and in a very good condition, sews superbly (I think). And I also think she is beautiful!:cool:
If anyone can identify the "SHMEN" badge or provide any insight whatsoever as to where she may have been built, I shall be highly grateful.
I have the original Operator's Manual that I can share with anyone interested. The manual states, 'printed in India'. Should I assume possibly built in India too? The machine was bought new in 1968.
I am new to this and I think I have caught the virus.
Greetings to all from far away Athens, Greece.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]562954[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]562955[/ATTACH]

This is a great board :thumbup: and I have already learnt a lot.
Thanks.

LindaMRB 11-30-2016 11:00 AM

Very interesting information. I do not have anything to share about Singers and Clones, and am sticking with my Elna from 1965. Maybe not as good, but when folks offer me a new machine I say no thanks to plastic parts and electronic brains.
These are such beautiful pieces of craftsmanship and reliability.

miriam 01-24-2017 07:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
there is room for some more pictures!

leonf 04-24-2017 10:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]572036[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]572037[/ATTACH] Seamstress Deluxe Super. wow! must be great to have a name like that ( cough)

chris_quilts 04-25-2017 09:29 AM

She sure is pretty all nice and cleaned up.

deriz56 04-25-2017 09:55 AM

Yes, beautiful machine with great stance! Thanks for pics.

ekj912 10-17-2017 10:39 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Good afternoon! I was wondering if anyone could provide me with any information on this sewing machine. It's my Mom's that she has had since the early 1970s. I am cleaning it up and doing maintenance on it for her. It's been in a closet for several years as she thought it wasn't working anymore.

I believe it to be a Japanese 15 Clone. The main tag on it says Kingston by Brother, a smaller tag on the side says Made in Taiwan, and the motor is made in Japan. [ATTACH=CONFIG]582372[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]582373[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]582374[/ATTACH]

miriam 10-17-2017 11:48 AM

That Kingston by Brother could easily become your favorite clone. Love that case. Read this whole thread and you will find lots of info including manuals to help you restore that machine. The clones were made in Taiwan and now in China. Parts may or may not interchange. My guess is the basic throw away parts are going to fit as does the manual. If you have specific questions, feel free to ask. A lot of times they need a good cleaning and oiling and a few adjustments. It is likely your mother could have had it serviced and it would run like it is new.

Farmhousesewer 10-18-2017 02:20 PM

If it is made in Taiwan, then, to me, it is not a Japanese machine. Further, I believe the reference to Singer 15 clones has been broadened too much. A Singer 15 clone looks very similar to a Singer 15 yet may have reverse and feed dog dropdown features. Often, a generic manual, may be referred to as an HA-1 manual.

Having problems typing on this site, so will leave it as that, for now.