Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Will the Real 15 clone please stand up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/will-real-15-clone-please-stand-up-t164361.html)

Santiago 05-22-2019 03:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I cant Find any information on this machine, can anyone help.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]613148[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]613149[/ATTACH]

miriam 05-22-2019 04:51 PM

Newer Chinese clone. Plastic parts. Same manual as the Japanese clones. The japanese ones don’t have the plastic feed drop knob on the base of the machine.

wesing 05-22-2019 04:54 PM

Love your Organ machine! Too bad about those gouges in the finish. The decals are unlike any I have seen (though admittedly I am no expert). Your machine appears to be a classic 15 "clone." I think I see some Oriental characters near the bottom of the badge on the pillar. Most any 15 manual will give you what you need to know.

tranum 05-22-2019 05:39 PM

I read 5 pages and will finish another night. I honestly don’t know what a “clone” machine is ! I thought it would be clear to me after 5 pages but it isn’t. Please enlighten me.

miriam 05-22-2019 05:55 PM

Tranum, the clones were made in Japan after WWII. The singer patents had run out. This was an effort to reboot the Japanese economy. I have a clone made in occupied japan. It is a piece of junk but it looks just like an older singer 15. I don’t know if it was poorly made or poorly adjusted at the factory or what. Later they improved on the designs. Many different companies in Japan made the clones. They have different JA numbers on the bottom somewhere. Some have names stamped in the bottom. You might be able to do a google search and find info on the J A numbers. Clones are still being made in China and maybe India and other places. The ‘newer’ clones usually have wilder paint jobs and there may be plastic parts. The most telling is the knob to drop the feed dogs. Some clones have a bit different shape than the Singers they were copied after but the tension is always on the side and they use class 15 bobbins in a case and on the side. They do not have drop in bobbins. There are many other Japanese machines and they are often well made. But there are some that are really junk. Cari who was banned for some reason knows a lot about the Japanese machines. I think you might find more info on google.

Santiago 05-22-2019 10:45 PM

Thank you Wesing I’m trying to find the top pressure assembly and how to set it it’s only missing the check spring but it works nicely.

miriam 05-23-2019 02:37 AM

Foot pressure gets set so you can just pull a piece of fabric out.
You do need a check spring. Those are available on line but there are two kinds depending on which tension unit you have. The clones with the bar need a long spring. The ones more compact and no bar need a short spring.
I made a thread here called taming the 15 tension.

OurWorkbench 05-23-2019 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 8256584)
Newer Chinese clone. Plastic parts. Same manual as the Japanese clones. The japanese ones don’t have the plastic feed drop knob on the base of the machine.

I'm confused, both lonestardreams and Santiago machines sure look like clones to me. Santiago's Organ machine would be Japanese as the trademark is the same as the Organ needles which are Japanese. Granted the stitch length regulator is different, but the rest of it sure looks like a 15 clone. As well as the tension assembly. The feed dog drop looks metal to me.

Santiago, I can't tell from the pictures as to what you are referring to as "top pressure assembly." The pressure regulator screws in and out to adjust the pressure, unless it was to have a "quick release" type.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Santiago 05-23-2019 07:14 AM

I I’m sorry it just needs the thread tension check spring but I don’t have any reference to how it goes.

Santiago 05-23-2019 09:08 AM

And yes Ourworkbench, all parts on my Organ machine are metal. I haven’t seen another Organ machine for reference, so I don’t know if the hook on the spring goes up or down. I was also confused because it came in a Brothers wooden case.