Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   You might remember... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/you-might-remember-t198709.html)

justflyingin 08-26-2012 08:00 AM

You might remember...

1 Attachment(s)
On Oct. 22, 2011, I asked you what you all might do with 4+ boxes of 4" squares (plus some 5" and 6"). Some of you gave me some answers. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t162296.html

Lately, I've had a couple of girls over on Sunday afternoons while their mother is working (dad died suddenly in April). They had indicated interest in some of the charity quilts I give away, but I had never gotten around to actually giving them any. I had this idea...why not let them "make their own"? It will give us something to do on the long Sunday afternoons and evenings when their mother is working (she works a 12 hour shift from 8-8 so I take them home about when she gets off).

So I brought down the ever present boxes of already cut squares (4", 5", 6") and said, "choose about 300-400 squares" and we'll do it.

Well, I had been thinking all the same size, but didn't specify. They chose some 6", some 5" and a lot of 4". I was a bit stumped for a minute, then decided, "Oh, just go for it," so this is what we did. (Where they didn't evenly match, I just chopped the edges off evenly--no delicate figuring and making it work. :))

I showed them both how to use the sewing machine (I have my first Pfaff which my DH bought me in 1994 and still works very well and is quite portable). The older one, 11, seemed to do very well, considering and took right to sewing the squares together, reasonably evenly. So, one day, they laid it out and we started sewing it. The next time, we worked on the next batch...of course, each time the older one getting more confidence at using the machine. Today, we did all the outer 4" squares, plus the binding.

I had her sew the squares together in strips and I sewed the strips together, not wanting her to be frustrated. I also sewed the blue bands on. They are both very pleased with this effort. These are actually the squares that the younger one chose--a lot of Disney, some wildlife and various pinks. Now, we will work on the older one's quilt top and when we have them both made, we'll either tie them, or I will FMQ them--I'll ask them, after showing them what that means.

We are all pleased--both of them and me!!! The younger one's favorite color is blue--that's why she has blue bands. :)

KyStitcher 08-26-2012 08:06 AM

I'd say these two are hooked for life, wouldn't you? :thumbup:

NanaCsews2 08-26-2012 08:09 AM

What a great idea!! They did a great job! Hopefully it won't be long before we are welcoming them to the Quilting Board!

Diane007 08-26-2012 08:09 AM

nice..........

terri bb 08-26-2012 08:10 AM

what you did is FANTASTIC! and the looks on the girls faces made ME smile! you may be starting regular lessons! what a beautiful thing you did :)

barri1 08-26-2012 08:13 AM

That came out great. That is the best ouse of the time you have together. You are creating great memories for these two. Hopefully, they will want to continue..

justflyingin 08-26-2012 08:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by NanaCsews2 (Post 5469100)
What a great idea!! They did a great job! Hopefully it won't be long before we are welcoming them to the Quilting Board!

Maybe, but they don't speak much English nor do they have internet at home...nor a computer, so...maybe not. :) But maybe they can help me make more charity quilts when we finish these. I can have them sew 2 colors together and make this type of quilt top without my having to be hovering. :)

ptquilts 08-26-2012 08:19 AM

Love the scrappy quilts and your helpers!! Wish I had some helpers like that!

PaperPrincess 08-26-2012 08:38 AM

Wow, they did an excellent job. I like your thinking about just cutting off anything that didn't match size wise. Your first quilting project should not be frustrating (that can come later ;-)
Hope that you translate all these supportive comments for them, and encourage them to continue!

red-warrior 08-26-2012 08:40 AM

Please tell them what a wonderful job they did! God bless you for the love and attention you are giving these girls. What
a wonderful way to use your squares,teach a skill, and help others all at the same time! Awesome!!!!