I was kind of freaking out about cutting up the shirts for this - see the thread here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-101105-2.htm
I did make progress today - four blocks, which is more than I managed in the last two weeks. It was still emotionally hard, though.
The pattern is "Flannel Trees and Stars" from allpeoplequilt.com
They are 6 1/2" squares. I am making a few changes - the bow ties they use are the "easy" kind with HST. I hate doing HTS and would rather set in the seams. They are still a pretty easy block. Also I think the proportions look better.
I'm also leaving in some of the structural elements of the shirts intact - the pockets and sleeve plackets. The plackets I'm sewing down with a slipstitch like applique, so that they don't open and expose the batting.