View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Butterflyblue

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4
Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
I am trying to think of ways to use the shirt buttons to embellish the blocks - but not in a frilly way, since it is for a boy. Does anyone have any ideas for that?
Looking at the pics you posted, I was thinking that on one of the trees, you could do a small heart with buttons. Or on the multi top right hand square, either a heart or just a line of buttons at an angle. I like the heart idea best. Or perhaps more than one heart on other end of quilt. I do not think a heart would be too girly or frilly...just the outline of a heart in small buttons.
Hmmm. I didn't even think of a heart. All I'd come up with was putting buttons on the trees like christmas ornaments or berries or something, but I don't know that "Christmas" is the look I'm going for. Thanks for the idea, I'll have to think about it. There will also be star blocks with big open centers - I'd though of putting a button in the center of some of the stars, through all layers of the quilt, kind of like tying, but it wouldn't be the primary method of keeping the layers together, there will be machine quilting.