Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Queen's Diamond Jubilee Quilt >

Queen's Diamond Jubilee Quilt

Queen's Diamond Jubilee Quilt

Old 04-25-2013, 01:44 PM
Muv

Default Queen's Diamond Jubilee Quilt

It is a year ago this week that I started this quilt to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, and managed to finish it just before Christmas. I am very grateful to all the members who kept me going on the Patriotic Challenge thread http://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltin...t186260-2.html and also the members who post in the vintage machines section, especially this thread showing quilts made using vintage machines http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t134918.html

To make this quilt I used two vintage machines, a 1927 Singer 99K hand machine - for the appliqué, and a 1945 Singer 15K treadle -for the free motion quilting. The binding and the assembly of the blocks was shared between the two machines.

All the appliqué is outlined with hand stitched blanket stitch. The method I used for the appliqué is shown in the tutorial I posted in this thread http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...e-t188532.html

The blocks represent the different countries of Great Britain and province of Northern Ireland - rose and oak for England, thistle and Scots pine for Scotland, daffodil and leek for Wales and flax flower and shamrock for Northern Ireland.

I'm now working on the quilt again, putting on a hanging sleeve because it is entered in the Quilts UK Show at Malvern in May. It's a bit scary - I've never entered a quilt into a show before, but I'm beginning to look forward to it. Any members in this country fancy meeting up if we can?

I hope you all like the quilt. If I hadn't joined this board I don't think I would have learnt so much or had the courage to attempt this quilt, so a BIG THANK YOU to you all!
Attached Thumbnails qjdquilt-004.jpg  
Old 04-25-2013, 01:49 PM

Oh my, that is perfection! It is so beautiful. So much work. I just love it.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:58 PM
Power Poster

Very nicely done. It is certainly a winner for me! Best wishes in the quilt show!
Old 04-25-2013, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

Your quilt is wonderful and it will be such a thrill to see it hanging in the show. I love how you did all the different plants representing the different parts of Britain. Please, when you attend the show, bring your camera with you and take a few shots of it hanging up along with all the other beautiful quilts that are sure to be exhibited.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:28 PM
Power Poster

​Outstanding quilt! I hope you win a ribbon!
Old 04-25-2013, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

Congratulations!!! for your quilt being entered into this show.
You deserve to see it "hung" ... and have everyone witness the outstanding work you have done, Muv!

I was honoured to have watched this quilt develop via the International Patriotic Challenge, and for the friendships we all made. Now am excited to hear about it's trip to the show.

However, there are few things you forgot to tell/show ... the delightful and oh so appropriate backing, some close ups of your exceptional quilting and handstitching ..... and the many miles travelled, and places where you stitched on parts of this quilt!!!

Beam with pride, Muv ... and Good Luck at the show!

P.S. When I saw the title of this thread, Muv, I just knew it was your quilt!!
Old 04-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

very nicely done!
Old 04-25-2013, 02:55 PM

Congratulations on an amazing quilt. You've done a wonderful job.

Great news that you will be entering a quilt show. The quilt deserves a lot of people looking at it and oohing and ahhing like we are.

Please also post a photo of this amazing quilt on the Patriotic thread so everyone who has been following the progress can see it in all its glory.

Well done!
Old 04-25-2013, 03:08 PM

Location: Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters

What a thoughtful idea! It's wonderful.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful work!!!!!