Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Question for Wild8580 and other Goodwill shoppers..... >

Question for Wild8580 and other Goodwill shoppers.....

Question for Wild8580 and other Goodwill shoppers.....

Old 01-08-2014, 09:42 AM

Default Question for Wild8580 and other Goodwill shoppers.....

Sorry, this is in the wrong spot, but, I don't know how to move it!!

Could you, please, give me some pointers on what you look for when you're picking clothing items to use for fabric in quilting? I think I'd like to do this to build up my stash. I love your Pineapple quilt blocks, Wild8580, and thanks everyone for the help!!

Last edited by Susann; 01-08-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:50 AM

That is one seriously awesome start, isn't it? I can't wait to see the rest of the Pineapple quilt!

When I shop - I ONLY take shirts that are labeled as 100% cotton. I start in the largest sizes and unless it's something really special, will only buy shirts that are XL or larger.

Check with your local shop(s) as to when they have sales. Each week, the local VoA has 50% off of a specific color tag. Plus, they have 50% off of everything a couple of times a year.

As for the cutting - check Bonnie Hunter's website for her "deboning a shirt" video.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:53 AM

I would buy only 100% cotton shirts and the largest ones that are in good condition. That way, you'll get more fabric for the cost.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:06 AM

I shop for 100% cotton shirts. I check the cuffs and collars for wear. I give them a good whiff to make sure there is not an odor I don't think can be removed by the washing process. I stay away from flannel shirts, but I like the wovens. The shirt plaids are reversible, so if a shirt is faded on one side, you can turn it over and use the other side. Larger shirts give more fabric, but if I find a plaid I like in a smaller size, I will buy that. I look for the tag sales. Some of the stores have a color tag sale of the week. If the item has a certain color, you get 50% off. I also have collected 100% wool skirts for felting.

I have made rules for myself. If I buy it, I must take care of it right away. For shirts, I wash them and cut them apart, saving the buttons. ( I'm not sure what I will do with these.) For the wool skirts, I take them apart and felt them in my washing machine and dryer. Preparing recycled clothes is not really an easy task, but you get a lot of variety with the shirts especially. Most of the cottons are a bargain compared to quilt shop fabrics. The wool is truly a bargain. My local Salvation Army sells most skirts for $.99. I bought several the week blue tags where 75% off. $.24 for about a half yard of felted wool after the washing process. Some skirts, more.

This is work, but I enjoy the hunt and the fabrics you can find.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

I look for 100% cotton men's shirts, and check the armpits for stains. I'm not concerned at all if the cuffs or collars are a bit frayed as I don't use them, but I do look at elbows on long sleeved ones. I shop for color. If the shirt I like is XXL, that's a bonus, but even a men's small yields quite a bit of fabric. Although thrift shops also have cotton woman's blouses, often in lovely colors, I've found that working around the darts is too much effort. Another good thing to look at is scrubs. Many of them are 100% cotton and no darts! Purchases come in the door and go directly into the washer on hot. This takes care of fading, shrinking and sanitizes it a bit. A couple years ago I went nuts and bought LOTS. I cut them all into 5" charms, reserving the yoke for longer strips as needed. I've made several quilts, gifted charm packs, and I still have lots left.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:00 AM

I use a rule of thumb of a fat quarter $$. Look for XXL long sleeve shirts,scrubs etc & MUST have label 100% cotton. Debone like Quiltville & I cut leftovers into squares from 1 1/2 inch to 3 1/2 inches for scrappies! I have grown my stash to huge this way!
Old 01-09-2014, 06:11 AM

I love thrift stores and agree with everyone about washing and cutting. I have to admit I also like "bag day" at local rummage and garage sales.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:54 AM

[QUOTE=Wild8580;6500891]I shop for 100% cotton shirts. I check the cuffs and collars for wear. I give them a good whiff to make sure there is not an odor I don't think can be removed by the washing process. I stay away from flannel shirts, but I like the wovens. The shirt plaids are reversible, so if a shirt is faded on one side, you can turn it over and use the other side. Larger shirts give more fabric, but if I find a plaid I like in a smaller size, I will buy that. I look for the tag sales. Some of the stores have a color tag sale of the week. If the item has a certain color, you get 50% off. I also have collected 100% wool skirts for felting.

I am not familiar with wool felting. Can you explain?
Old 01-09-2014, 06:55 AM

I also like thrift shops for blue jeans. I enjoy making the denim quilts.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

Estate and garage sales are great especially if plus size clothes. Don't forget to look at kids clothes though. There's a lot of material in some of those little girl skirts. I made out like a fat rat at a sale once when it was plus size and the woman wore patio/moo moo dresses out of cotton. I always wash in vinegar, Arm and Hammer soap flakes and my regular detergent. I use pre wash sprays to help rid. I have also soaked perfumed fabric in a bucket of ammonia or vinegar to help cut the perfumes oil. May seem like a lot of work but when you go home with as much as 10-15 yards of material for $5.00, what else can you say. Saw woman the other day walk out of SA with 3 bags of flannel, cotton shirts, skirts and wool jackets and skirts with the biggest grin on her face. I asked her if she was a quilter and she said yes. She spent about $15.00 and had the biggest grin on her face.