Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Quilt saved from garage sale >

Quilt saved from garage sale

Quilt saved from garage sale

Old 01-09-2013, 07:20 AM

Good thing you spied the quilt in time to save it! Glad it's in a good home now. Best wishes.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:33 PM

what a wonderful quilt to good to tossed away without a second thought, good save on your part, I hope you didn't pay her the $10.00 price tag, it is priceless. my mother did tapestries and was so upset when she could no longer hold the neadles becased of athritus
Old 01-09-2013, 05:55 PM

Somewhere we have lost the appreciation for gifts. As a society we have shifted the value of a gift to be a perfect match or the size of the price tag from the value from the sentiment behind the gift and the time to choose or make the gift. For many, we except the gifts to totally match what we desire. Just think how many gifts are returned, because they did not suit our ideals!

We need to remind ourselves and teach others the true value of a gift.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:25 PM

it may be scrappy, but she used all jewel tones and they 'match' each other in intensity. yes, its a treasure. so glad you 'found' it!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:56 PM

I think that those of you who think that someone will start loving handmade quilts or other items because someone explains the time, effort and perhaps love that went into the making of them are probably deluding yourselves. Appreciation comes from the heart, not the brain. Many of the quilts that we dislike from Walmart as being cheaply made are frequently made by hand, by thimble and needle in very poor working conditions for pitiful wages and should be appreciated for the work these women and children do to support themselves. But we don't appreciate them because they are usually supplied with poor quality fabric and thread and time constraints make them use large stitches, etc. But they deserve better respect . Our hearts feel for them and our brains know this; we still don't like their quilts. This is similar to someone who puts a family quilt in a garage sale. They will probably never truly appreciate a quilteven if they know how many hours it took to make it. At best they may be forced to keep it from family pressure. It will probably be referred to as old fashioned, ugly, made with bad color combinations, etc. I doubt if it is used that it will be treated with respect. It may even make trouble in a marriage, becoming "That old quilt your mother (or aunt, etc.) forced on us." I don't think many people change in their likes and dislikes when changing will make you more like your in-laws, or more like "old relatives". Boy, I've got a pessimistic view of some people, don't I? LOL! It's based on experience.