Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilts for Romania

Quilts for Romania

Our church, for the last 10 years, has been sending a missions team to Romania. They work with a camp that brings in children from a couple orphanages to have a week of camp away from the orphanage. They also will do a week of bringing in poor kids from nearby villages. The organization is called Heart of Hope and they run Camp of the Good Shepherd
    My 2nd daughter went the first year, when she was in college. My son-in-law (not then though) (married daughter #3 later) went then as well. Since then my husband has served as well as my oldest daughter.
    The organization that supports the camp has also opened a home called Home of Hope. It houses 8 young women, some from the orphanage, some from poor families, these young women are going to university as well as learn how to keep a home, cook and generally care for themselves, things not learned in an orphanage.
    Our UFO group decided to send each a girl a quilt that they will be able to take with them when they leave the home. There are also 2 young men who run the camp and the home that we are making quilts for.
    I donated fabric for 9 of these tops and for 4 of them I had the blocks already made but not put together. These are the ones that are finished. We are still working on the others.
    They will go in July with our team heading over to work.
    Name:  033.JPG
Views: 3791
Size:  1.74 MB
    This quilt was 2 years of block of the months's I made but never put togetherName:  037.JPG
Views: 3758
Size:  1.82 MBThis second quilt was a block that I had made for a block exchange with our UFO group but I liked the block too much to give away. I then made another block to coordinate with it. The stack sat for 10 years so I decided to give them awayName:  036.jpg
Views: 3804
Size:  1.08 MBThis one is some left over yellow brick road blocks I did not use from a long time ago This is one of the two "guy" quilts. and yes, the outer fabric border does have little skulls on it. You can see them if you look really close.
    Name:  034.JPG
Views: 3772
Size:  1.37 MBThis one also has some yellow brick road blocks that we added some large block of fabric to
    Name:  035.JPG
Views: 3742
Size:  1.39 MBThis one is made from fabrics from my great friend Sandy. she pulled them from her stash.

All of the quilts are twin/double size. Just right for a twin bed
    Last edited by Jim's Gem; 05-17-2013 at 01:31 PM.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

They are all gorgeous. Love most of the colors.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Moved from Missouri to California June2013 have 1 son 2 daughters, all grown and 2 cats
    Blog Entries
    What wonderful gifts, not only the lovely quilts but your volunteer time as well. It makes me happy to know some young people are given some extra help to succeed and a remembrance of the time and people who helped. Thank you!

Beautiful. Teaching life skills is wonderful. Are they also teaching spirit skills? Thanks for posting pic

Quote Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
    Beautiful. Teaching life skills is wonderful. Are they also teaching spirit skills? Thanks for posting pic
    Yes, all 8 of the young women have committed their life to Christ. They are also getting Biblical training and Discipleship

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Blog Entries
    Thank you for sharing such a wonderful story; kudos to your family for doing this. My neighbor Gloria and her gang from church put together packages several times a year for the Romanian orphanages - it's never ending rewarding work.
    Be good to yourself - do one thing each day that makes you smile.

Fabulous in every way. Do you know the song, "Blessed to be a Blessing?" It's apropos!
    Ruth

those are beautiful.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

Blog Entries
    God Bless you for all you do for others!! Love the quilts and I know they will be much appreciated!! We have so many great quilters on here who share their time and quilts with those who need uplifting.

Beautiful quilts and great cause..
    Carolyn - Singer 1030 (slant needle, self winding bobbin from 1976, my everyday machine) , Singer Quantum Quilter (sits on shelf unloved), Tin Lizzie 18

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast