View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 01:12 PM
Jim's Gem

Default Quilts for Romania

Our church, for the last 10 years, has been sending a missions team to Romania. They work with a camp that brings in children from a couple orphanages to have a week of camp away from the orphanage. They also will do a week of bringing in poor kids from nearby villages. The organization is called Heart of Hope and they run Camp of the Good Shepherd
My 2nd daughter went the first year, when she was in college. My son-in-law (not then though) (married daughter #3 later) went then as well. Since then my husband has served as well as my oldest daughter.
The organization that supports the camp has also opened a home called Home of Hope. It houses 8 young women, some from the orphanage, some from poor families, these young women are going to university as well as learn how to keep a home, cook and generally care for themselves, things not learned in an orphanage.
Our UFO group decided to send each a girl a quilt that they will be able to take with them when they leave the home. There are also 2 young men who run the camp and the home that we are making quilts for.
I donated fabric for 9 of these tops and for 4 of them I had the blocks already made but not put together. These are the ones that are finished. We are still working on the others.
They will go in July with our team heading over to work.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]414098[/ATTACH]
This quilt was 2 years of block of the months's I made but never put together[ATTACH=CONFIG]414099[/ATTACH]This second quilt was a block that I had made for a block exchange with our UFO group but I liked the block too much to give away. I then made another block to coordinate with it. The stack sat for 10 years so I decided to give them away[ATTACH=CONFIG]414102[/ATTACH]This one is some left over yellow brick road blocks I did not use from a long time ago This is one of the two "guy" quilts. and yes, the outer fabric border does have little skulls on it. You can see them if you look really close.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]414103[/ATTACH]This one also has some yellow brick road blocks that we added some large block of fabric to
[ATTACH=CONFIG]414104[/ATTACH]This one is made from fabrics from my great friend Sandy. she pulled them from her stash.

All of the quilts are twin/double size. Just right for a twin bed
Attached Thumbnails 033.jpg   037.jpg   036.jpg   034.jpg   035.jpg  

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Last edited by Jim's Gem; 05-17-2013 at 01:31 PM.