Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Start Toumbling Blocks >

Start Toumbling Blocks

Start Toumbling Blocks

Old 12-06-2010, 05:08 AM

it's going to be wonderful, been wanting to try this one too,maybe after the holidays. great job
Old 12-06-2010, 09:51 AM

Lovely colours!
Old 12-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Banned

now that is good.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful
Old 12-06-2010, 03:06 PM

I just finished a Tumbling blocks quilt top. I had the same problem. The old pattern I had just said "sew together" but no HOW. This is what I did. I took a block. That was a light top and the med. and dark bottom. I cut the top template into two pieces, making sure I added 1/4 inch. Now I had 4 pieces. Then I made rows going up and down.
I layed two blocks side by side. That made for a block to be placed below in the middle. At the left there was a place for 1/2 of a block or the left side of the quilt. I proceeded on down the side. Now take the top block and divide it in-two. Pin together the top light piece with the med piece. This is where you will sew. Continue pinning a row of just the light piece and med piece. Pin as many as you want. Sew together. Now take the light piece and the dark piece and pin it together. When pinning be sure you get the top piece going the correct direction. I had to rip a few times to get into the swing of things. Now you have two rows. Pin the two rows together matching light pieces and medium to dark. When sewed together iron. Place the strip on your work surface, which for me was the guest room bed, and then make more rows. This is the only way I could figure out how to put it all together. If you can't understand, just let me know.
Rita at [email protected]
Old 12-06-2010, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ritacarl
I just finished a Tumbling blocks quilt top. I had the same problem. The old pattern I had just said "sew together" but no HOW. This is what I did. I took a block. That was a light top and the med. and dark bottom. I cut the top template into two pieces, making sure I added 1/4 inch. Now I had 4 pieces. Then I made rows going up and down.
I layed two blocks side by side. That made for a block to be placed below in the middle. At the left there was a place for 1/2 of a block or the left side of the quilt. I proceeded on down the side. Now take the top block and divide it in-two. Pin together the top light piece with the med piece. This is where you will sew. Continue pinning a row of just the light piece and med piece. Pin as many as you want. Sew together. Now take the light piece and the dark piece and pin it together. When pinning be sure you get the top piece going the correct direction. I had to rip a few times to get into the swing of things. Now you have two rows. Pin the two rows together matching light pieces and medium to dark. When sewed together iron. Place the strip on your work surface, which for me was the guest room bed, and then make more rows. This is the only way I could figure out how to put it all together. If you can't understand, just let me know.
Rita at [email protected]
Riya, post it. I find right now that the way I'm doing it is pretty easy. Try to post the stepd of what you did I would love to see it. I saw a tut on doing it with the diamonds all cut in half sewn in strips then whae you match them up u sew down the middle. It's much easyer that way ...but you have a seam going down every diamond. I think the next time I dod this pattern I'm going to try it this way.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Janet Orfini
The start of my first Toumbling Blocks quilt. I had a lot of trouble connecting the rows. I could not get the points to stay sharp or line up with the seams. Sooooo I aplicaed the rows together. Easyer and fast. I figuared if I have to hand sew everything why not do the rows this way.
Continuation.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-142611.jpe  
Old 12-12-2010, 11:24 PM

Awesome! Your doing great!!!
Old 12-12-2010, 11:30 PM

WOW,what a great job !
Old 12-13-2010, 12:10 AM

What a nice job you are doing with your tumbling block pattern. I will be waiting anxiously to see further progress. I know it's going to be so lovely.
:D :D :D :D