Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
started this and do not like it help. >

started this and do not like it help.

started this and do not like it help.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:32 PM

I agree with most of the others on the sashing. It just doesn't work with those blocks. I would go with a dark brown sashing since most of your blocks are in the warm color category and this would connect the theme better. A floral would work also as long as it ties in with the blocks in a coordinated way. Also, a more narrow sashing would be preferable to balance everything better. I'm sure we will love what you decide to go with. The sashing is a gorgeous color and striking in appearance but doesn't work too well with the blocks you've done. A striped fabric would look much better that had some of the colors in it as in your blocks. We will look forward to seeing your wonderful quilt all finished. :D :D
Old 03-06-2010, 05:59 PM
Power Poster

I agree with most everyone else the dotted fabric is crooked and throws the attention off of the gorgeous colors, it needs a plain border to compliment the others.

Just that change and it will be beautiful and you will be so happy with it.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:19 PM

What size are your blocks? What look are you trying to achieve? It you just want a scrappy look without one color blocks why not try half square triangles. They are easy but can be organized in many different way ie. color waves,by the way color charts are arranged going through the color spectrim, etc. into pinwheels, into star blocks....If you don't want to match corners you can put stripping between the rolls and strips. Smaller size strips are better for setting blocks Hope this gives you some choices if you want to change the look
Old 03-07-2010, 12:24 AM
Banned

I would take the strip out, it takes away from the beautiful fabric you have there. Penny
Old 03-07-2010, 05:29 AM

I have a totally different comment to make on the strips. Notice that the seams are not directly across from each other. As more strips are added, the quilt top could become more and more crooked. What method does everyone use to assure that the seams are directly across from each other so the quilt remains square?
Old 03-08-2010, 09:25 AM

cut 45 degree strips and use it for a binding - thats what I do, or, keep cutting it up and sewing it back together and use for a pieced background of an art quilt!
Old 03-08-2010, 09:46 AM

I concur with the use of a black strip, that way you could enjoy the lovely blocks.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:52 AM

I agree with everyone else. I would take the sashing out and just sew all the square together. Would love to see it when it is done.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:03 AM

The curve of the polka dots drives my eyes crazy. I like the idea of either a very dark brown or black (my preference). You can place fabrics between the rows to find one that is pleasing to you. Put the fabric you are auditioning down then place the two rows of squares on top leaving the width you want(2 1/2")between them. I use this method for borders all the time. If I have to buy the fabric, I take my top to the store with me.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:28 PM

This looks like a stacked coins pattern to me. How about a print with a dark background that incorporates most of your colors - I agree that a floral would work since your other fabrics seem to be tone on tone.