Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Suggestions, please! >

Suggestions, please!

Suggestions, please!

Old 09-05-2011, 07:38 AM

IMO with a quilt in that poor condition, I would cut into it and make something I could enjoy. My mom and I made Teddy Bears from battered quilts that had no sentimental value. We used her old $0.15 Simplicity pattern.

However it may be possible to "mend" it.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-251757.jpe  
Old 09-05-2011, 08:07 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

The fabrics in this quilt are easily replaceable with similar current 1930s reproduction fabrics.

Is it possible to restore the quilt? Granted with a great deal of work, considering adding missing batting and backing, but with persistence and determination it might be done. Think how proud you'd be of it when you could use it as the full quilt it was intended to be. :-)

Jan in VA
Old 09-05-2011, 08:08 AM

I think appliqued hearts over the holes
Old 09-05-2011, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Morningcoffeegal
Looks to me like the damaged part is just mainly the center, you could cut the center part out just beyond the damage then make a new center using the cut out part in an applique pattern then stitch the quilted center into the quilt. Hope this makes sense to you!
I was thinking the same thing. Is there a way to create a center block that would be a tribute to your grandmother, or a family tree block or some such thing.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:46 AM

That is one of the prettiest quilts I have ever seen! The close-up shows the undamaged fabric to be in pretty good shape. If that is the case, if it were mine, I think I would try to repair it using reproduction fabrics - you won't match the fabrics but you should be able to get close. It is just too pretty to give up on.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:48 AM

It still looks so pretty! How about old lace hankies made into butterflies over the holes or hearts as Dolphyngyrl suggested. I would also redo the batting and back. You could also try to find a picture (such as of your grandma) and have it put on fabric then use the good outside part of the quilt as a frame around the picture applying applique hearts or flowers around the picture and a few on her quilt frame to tie them together. Good luck!
Old 09-05-2011, 08:53 AM

It would be very difficult to match the fabrics. There are loads of current Thirties repros but wow, look at the fading. You'd need to was new fabric dozens of times, or bleach it, to get the lovely patina of age this quilt has. Your quilt has seen a lot of love.

If it were mine, I would cut it into good parts, and bind those. They could be framed or used just over the back of a rocker as something decorative.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:19 AM

The first cut is the hardest. I wore out the first handmade quilt my grandmother made for me. My children remember being allowed to use it when they were not feeling well. One said it made her feel loved. They are each getting a framed piece. I like the idea of including a picture of their great grandmother.

BTW, Grandma was so happy someone used a quilt that she made me a new one. I was more selective of how it was used, so it's still beautiful.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:19 AM

I have not read all the replys, so sorry if this is a duplicate... Can you put a pretty "panel" in the center area and leave the sides as a "frame" for a pretty panel?!? and hang on the wall or finish into a quilt?
Old 09-05-2011, 03:53 PM

I am not of any help but it sure is pretty.