Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
table runner presents >

table runner presents

table runner presents

Old 11-23-2009, 08:36 AM

I am making 7 table runners to send to Australia for Christmas . Is there a way to NOT make the edges wavey? Elaine
Attached Thumbnails attachment-618.jpe   attachment-647.jpe   attachment-649.jpe  
Old 11-23-2009, 09:25 AM

By measuring through the center of piece before putting on the last border, you will be able to cut down on the "wave" quite a bit.
The next thing to consider is the purchase of a walking foot. It is better at keeping the layers moving together.
Another thing to keep an eye on is how you are handling the binding or anything ... a lot of time, we get into a lot of trouble on the long runs of joining because we have personal control issues.
We pull the top layer on joining a border, too tightly. Lighten up a bit on your hand control. Even when one cuts fabric on the straight of grain, it can be pulled out of shape.
Another method is to lay the border on your piece and pin in place.
if you measure the middle, many times, you will find that the edge you are attaching the border to is longer ... not a problem .. now, you can use control issues! <G>
put the longest piece on the bottom and ease in the excess. do not try to stretch the border to the quilt, ease the quilt into the border.
If the binding is causing the rippling? Check the stitch length as you are attaching it.
Your length of stitch must lengthen out to accomodate all of the layers that the needle/thread is going through. You may need to lessen the upper tension also ...
Hope this helps <wave>
Old 11-23-2009, 09:25 AM

Your gifts are beautiful <g>
Old 11-23-2009, 09:29 AM

Those are great, and your quilt holder is pretty cute, too!

Renee
Old 11-23-2009, 09:52 AM

Those are awesome!! Great job!
Your helper is soo cute! :D
Old 11-23-2009, 07:51 PM
Power Poster

Those are beautiful. Someone is going to be lucky to get them. Your quilt holder is so cute.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:56 PM

These are just lovely...and your helper is cute as a button!
Old 11-23-2009, 10:17 PM

Thank you , I had to fight with him to hold them; he wanted to take the picture.
I use a walking foot on them. I will try lengthening my stitches. I am folding the back over to the front for the binding. Thanks I will try out your suggestions.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:22 PM
Power Poster

Your quilt and holder are both adorable!!! :D :D :D

I starch my bindings stiff LOL and I use a walking foot, lengthen my stitiches to 2.5 and because they are stiff, I put them on top of the quilt and pin them every 4 inches or so unless I glue baste them. Knock on wood, I can now wave my waves away LOL
Old 11-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Power Poster

If you are folding the back over to the front, I would starch the whole back stiff...and be really careful how you handle the edges while quilting it... mine got wavy from grabbing onto the sides. I roll the edges and grip the rolls while quilting in between them.. If they still have a little wave, I would put the quilt on a table, and lightly spray the back all around the edges with water and hold the iron slightly above it and see if it will shrink back into shape.

You may want to try sewing one row of quilting lines one direction and then come back up the opposite direction instead of going round and round the edges in the same direction, too. That will distort the edges and make them wavy too.