Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
trouble with twin needles >

trouble with twin needles

trouble with twin needles

Old 09-14-2010, 06:11 AM

Have any of you had trouble with twin needles breaking? I decided to make a wall hanging for my cousin for Christmas and thought I would sew on the fusible black bias with a twin needle. I had never worked with one but I was able to figure out how to thread my Bernina without a problem. Problem is, I broke 3 different needles - yikes!! That was about $15 down the drain. Are these needles more brittle or thinner than regular needles? I had to finish my wall hanging with a zig zag on the bias. It looks ok, but I would have preferred the double stitch. Attached is a picture of one I did previously.

Nativity Wall Hanging
[ATTACH=CONFIG]101984[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-101979.jpe  
Old 09-14-2010, 07:20 AM

Love your Nativity wall hanging. I have only used my double needle on fine material doing tucking and such. I would be
afraid on heavier materials.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:34 AM

What size are the needles?
Old 09-14-2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter
What size are the needles?
The needles were just regular size, not for jeans or knits. Guess I should have gotten jean twin needles. They should probably be stronger.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:04 PM

I just bought this pattern! Can you give me any tips on how it went together? Anything that was a bear to deal with or a special spot to watch out for? I don't think I'll use a twin needle, 'cause they are a bear for me to work with straight stitches never mind curves :)!
Old 09-14-2010, 07:49 PM

I have this pattern! You did a beautiful job. My husband used the center portion and made a stained glass out of it. He boxed it and put a light in the box so it can be seen from the road at night. I will take a picture and put it up. I love this scene.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:59 PM

I love the wall hanging,would like to know where to purchase the pattern from.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:18 AM

I made a stained glass wall hanging some time ago, and decided it was less time consuming to sew each side of the bias, as the twin needle kept breaking.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:41 AM

I love your wall hanging! Great job on it.
I have used size 90 twin needle for straight-line quilting, and had no trouble. One lady one time told me that if you are trying to curve or veer of a straight line, you'll break your needle. So make sure that you are stopping to move the fabric if you are shifting while sewing. Also, check that the space between the two needles accommodates your stitch width, I know on my machine, I can't use a stitch wider than 3 with the twin needles. I hope this helps.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
I just bought this pattern! Can you give me any tips on how it went together? Anything that was a bear to deal with or a special spot to watch out for? I don't think I'll use a twin needle, 'cause they are a bear for me to work with straight stitches never mind curves :)!
It was really easy and fun to do. I have made 3 sets so far and plan to make more as gifts for our grown children. I guess the hardest part was sewing down the bias and also ironing on the bias in the curved parts, like the top of the three kings' crowns. Also, be mindful of the order when ironing on the bias. The pattern clearly numbers this so they overlap correctly.