Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying to figure size/shape

Trying to figure size/shape

Im making this hopefully for my mom for Christmas. ( Side note, am having lots of trouble with batiks. Man they're stretchy!) Anyhow. Right now it's 37 x 49. I'll be adding 4 1/2 border. I want this bigger but n doot sure... do I make
    3 more for the bottom making it longer, or 4 on the side making it square. I really dont want to do both. Lol

I hope this picture shows up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kim

Wife to the love of my life. Mom to a Marine, a college student, an 12 year old 'surprise blessing', two Bichon Maltese brothers, and 3 kitties.

By the way, I haven't even started trying to layout the blocks for color, I just threw them up in random order for now.
    Kim

Wife to the love of my life. Mom to a Marine, a college student, an 12 year old 'surprise blessing', two Bichon Maltese brothers, and 3 kitties.

The shape is good the way it is. Maybe you could do multiple borders, one being pieced from your fabrics from the blocks.

Square would be better than longer. If you google "Golden Rectangle" you'll find info on what proportions are very pleasing to the eye. p.s. Very nice! She'll love it.

If not making it larger with borders, I too, would suggest going for square and making four more blocks. It'll be so nice and cozy to snuggle under!

Blog Entries
    Beautiful blocks. Your mom is going to love it. I agree with the square idea.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Beautiful! I'd do the four for the side to make it square. If your batiks are stretchy, spritz some starch on, that will really help!
    Linda
    http://quiltingbiker.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    I think I would add some sashing before adding borders - too many borders can detract from the beauty of your quilt blocks and a dark sashing could frame each block like a matte on a piece of art work.
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

I was thinking about doing sashing, but I sooooooo love the look of the original pattern. I'll make 4 more squares then post more pictures. I kind of like the idea of the square, but it's so different from what I'm familiar with that it feels wrong. Lol. I'm a dork, I know. Lolol
    Kim

Why not sashing??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast