Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Turning Twenty pieced, now suggestions!

Blog Entries

Turning Twenty pieced, now suggestions!

Hello everyone!

I've had a nasty head cold all weekend so instead of laying around again today I pieced a turning twenty quilt. This is my fourth pieced work and I picked this easy pattern so that I could give myself some practice achieving the scant 1/4" seam and to practice my hand quilting. This is going to be a lap quilt for around the house so I chose fabrics that match my living room furniture The picture isn't true to color (actual colors are: olive green, navy blue, maroon, and a dark tan).

What I'm wanting to know is, what batting do you all recommend I use for hand quilting? I have W&N on hand and a Walmart close by, but for anything else I will have to travel roughly an hour to obtain.

Last question: Do you have any suggestions on a quilting design?

Thanks for your time! Happy quilting!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Our lives are like quilts bits and pieces, joy and sorrow,
    stitched with love.

Blog Entries
    nice turning twenty quilt

Blog Entries
    looks good so far
    Nancy in western NY

It's very pretty but I'm no help with your questions! Other people on here will answer them, I'm sure!

I'm not a hand quilter, but I've been told that W&N can be difficult to hand quilt. Some people use it though. Maybe you could try hand quilting it, just on a little sample, to decide whether your needle goes through easily enough for you. The quilt is very pretty.

such pretty colors! please post it when you are finished
    A rolling stone gathers no moss

The main thing I've decided for me when hand quilting is to use a skinny needle. It goes through the layers much more easily. I had almost given up on hand quilting when one day I tried the skinny needle and now I'm doing more hand quilting than I had for awhile. Also still trying to master quilting by machine as well. Some day I may actually do one that I feel good about claiming!

I am not a hand quilter so do not know which batting, but sure is a pretty quilt!

Most of the hand quilting I've done has been with W&N, so I think it's fine. I say go with what you have. Good luck.

Another hand quilter here that uses W&N. I have no issues with it. I use Roxanne #11 betweens mostly...sometimes #12. And I don't worry about a 'right' or 'wrong' side to the batting either (discussed in another thread here). As to quilting design, sorry I'm no help there. It's always my hardest point in the process. Do you have any stencils on hand? See if any of those 'speak' to you?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast