Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Twister miscalculation... >

Twister miscalculation...

Twister miscalculation...

Old 01-17-2011, 09:41 AM

So I was going to make runners for my bedroom dressers and thought the twister would be a fun way to go about it... so I went to Home Depot, bought a piece of acrylic for $2 and made a template - I'm working on a tutorial for that process but it is sooo easy! - anyhoooo...

I figured out that I would need to make my initial quilt a certain size.. then added my borders. Fortunately for me I only cut out a few rows first so that I wouldn't get too far ahead of myself... That is what saved me! Had I cut one row more I would have been out of luck - so I suppose it was meant to be.

I was going to set it aside and put it in the ufo box but I decided that I should finish it - because I also wanted to change where I had my lines on my template (a little goo gone takes off permanent marker easily) so I looked around the house and found two end tables that with just a little tweaking I could make it work - so I ripped out a row, added more border material and off I went!

I used the scraps from cutting the squares to make the side squares. They made perfect 2" squares after trimming them a bit.

Oh? And have you guessed what my mistake was in my calculations?
I forgot to add the blocks that had the borders attached to it! I needed it to be like 5x8 blocks wide for my runners... so I made it 5x8 blocks and added the border material... sigh.... yeah, I ended up with 7x10! It's all good in the end.

I'll work on the other runner another day - It's all set and ready to go but I want to make my bedroom runners!!!

Before cutting
[ATTACH=CONFIG]162367[/ATTACH]

finished runner top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]162368[/ATTACH]

my home made twister template
[ATTACH=CONFIG]162369[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-162362.jpe   attachment-162363.jpe   attachment-162364.jpe  
Old 01-17-2011, 09:46 AM

If I could make mistakes like that - I would be happy to make them all the time :) Very pretty.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

looks like a good mistake to me!!
Old 01-17-2011, 10:25 AM

that border will get ya every time.
I used a grid of 7x3 to make my runner and added outside borders after twisted blocks were sewn together.
what size were your original squares?
Did you use a 3/4" marking on a 3 1/2" square to make your template or other measurements?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:51 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience with the twister. That would be an easy mistake to make but turned out to be a nice topper for another area.

Looking forward to see your tutorial for making an acrylic template.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
So I was going to make runners for my bedroom dressers and thought the twister would be a fun way to go about it... so I went to Home Depot, bought a piece of acrylic for $2 and made a template - I'm working on a tutorial for that process but it is sooo easy! - anyhoooo...

I figured out that I would need to make my initial quilt a certain size.. then added my borders. Fortunately for me I only cut out a few rows first so that I wouldn't get too far ahead of myself... That is what saved me! Had I cut one row more I would have been out of luck - so I suppose it was meant to be.

I was going to set it aside and put it in the ufo box but I decided that I should finish it - because I also wanted to change where I had my lines on my template (a little goo gone takes off permanent marker easily) so I looked around the house and found two end tables that with just a little tweaking I could make it work - so I ripped out a row, added more border material and off I went!

I used the scraps from cutting the squares to make the side squares. They made perfect 2" squares after trimming them a bit.

Oh? And have you guessed what my mistake was in my calculations?
I forgot to add the blocks that had the borders attached to it! I needed it to be like 5x8 blocks wide for my runners... so I made it 5x8 blocks and added the border material... sigh.... yeah, I ended up with 7x10! It's all good in the end.

I'll work on the other runner another day - It's all set and ready to go but I want to make my bedroom runners!!!
Mistake or no, it looks great!
Old 01-17-2011, 12:05 PM
BMP

Looks good !! Looking forward to your tute...
Old 01-17-2011, 01:14 PM

I posted the tutorial on my personal website.
Okay, I really should have been sewing but I have fabric in the machine for the next twistery project. I made a 6.5" template when making the tutorial. I will use that template in my next project :)

http://yarn-or-fabric.weebly.com/how...-template.html