Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Quilt Find

How pretty! And what a great find.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

BCM
    A lovely treasure and a shame the family didn't keep it, but meaninful to you having known the daughter of the quilter.

Blog Entries
    The pieces are hand appliqued, so the fabric under the bad piece is in good shape so the batting is not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by greensleeves View Post
    Your quilt is a real treasure and I think you are correct as to the approx date. Too bad about the one fabric that has worn out. When cleaning you might want to temporarily baste a piece of fabric over the areas that are open so the batting doesn't come out. There are many reproduction fabrics of that era if you choose to repair the worn areas but I wouldn't do so if you are only going to display the quilt. Appraisers will point out that repairing with fabrics of a later date than the original quilt changes the dating of the quilt. If you choose to repair you could search for vintage fabrics of that time period-they are available. I have vintage quilts that I display that I have not repaired any of the damaged areas simply because I don't "use" the quilts and like seeing that the quilts were well used when they were made.
    Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Blog Entries
    That was me, when I saw it and found out it was her grand or great grand mothers. I would never have let it out of my sight. But then, I get sentimental over everything! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    If it goes all the way back to her grandmother, then I would say it probably is from the 30s. I couldn't have parted with it. It's beautiful!
    Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

I love the dog.

Blog Entries
    $35!?!?!? what a fantastic find! if the stains don't come out, i wouldn't worry about it, it's a great quilt the way it is
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Lovely find!
    A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such.

Lovely quilt. My guess is that its from the depression era. They used a lot of bright colors (it said, was to cheer them up) and also the Dresden Plate pattern was very popular then. If you plan to wash it in the bathtub, I have read to lay a sheet in the bottom then the quilt, let it soak, empty the water and rinse til clear, then get your DH or someone to help you and each one get on an end and pick up two corners of the sheet and lift it out like a hammock and lay it out to dry. This way there is absolutely no pull or tension on the quilt itself. Glad you got a great deal on it. I love old quilts!

Blog Entries
    It could also date to the late 20's. I've got quilts and pieces of fabric that I sewed with that could date to the late 20's.

What an awesome quilt find! It's beautiful!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast