Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 18 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage quilt rescued from the thrift store...

Vintage quilt rescued from the thrift store...

Last Saturday DH & I were out "thrifting" when I found this quilt. It was very yellowed from old storage stains and looked like it possibly may have even had some water stains. It was picked up by 2 other people and rejected by both before I finally got my hands on it. When I picked it up, the other 2 people turned up their noses and said "it's stained".

But I know better! I've bought lots of vintage linens in my lifetime and I know a nice Oxi-Clean soak does wonders!

This is what the quilt looks like now after soaking overnight. It is full-sized, all hand embroidered and hand quilted. There is no label but in the doorway of the house, in blue permanent marker, is written "The Hammill's".

I don't know who made this, but it is now in my home and on my bed. Yes, it is small for my queen-sized bed, but we don't care....It's got 3 other quilts underneath it so it's more of a "covering"! There are no pulled threads or popped stitches and looks like it has never been used before!
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image  Click to view large image  Click to view large image  Click to view large image  Click to view large image 

Blog Entries
    Wonderful save! Just emptied my box of washing soda, my next purchase will be Oxy-clean. Looks like it did a great job on yout quilt. Thanks for the advice.

Blog Entries
    what a find it's beautiful

What a beautiful work of art.
    A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such.

Wow, that's a lot of work that went into that quilt. Very nice!!
    Don't find fault, find a remedy.

It is a wonderful quilt. So lucky you found it. That was a lot of work to end up tossed aside.

Blog Entries
    What a masterpiece! Bless you for rescuing it, and thanks for the Oxy-Clean soak.

It's a quilter's nightmare to think that the ton of work and love you put into a quilt might end up
    cast off. So glad some of them get rescued and revered.

Blog Entries
    Oh, wow, beautiful and a lot of time went into that one. Looks good as new to me. Great save!
    Deuteronomy 10:12-13

Exactly what my thoughts were reading the post!!!!! This is a beautiful quilt and look at all of the work put into making it, very.

Quote Originally Posted by postal packin' mama View Post
    What a masterpiece! Bless you for rescuing it, and thanks for the Oxy-Clean soak.

It's a quilter's nightmare to think that the ton of work and love you put into a quilt might end up
    cast off. So glad some of them get rescued and revered.

What a beautiful find. I can't believe someone got rid of it.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 11 ... LastLast