I made this wall quilt for my brother who has a place on Cape Cod. He loves the shingles on all the houses in the north east, he has a few of these buoys in his yard, AND, he has a big patch of blueberries! So when I found the blueberry fabric, I had to figure out a way to include it.
I did the patchwork of the buoys using a printed grid fusible.
The shadows and shading were done on my DSM. Most was done FMQ/thread painting, but I was able to use one of the decorative stitches to do the shadow along the horizontal lines of the shingles. I also tried to "age" the shingles by stitching jagged lines in every one with a very light blue thread. It also helped to lighten the color of the shingle wall.
Then I put it on my LA and did some simple quilting. Tried to make the white border look like beadboard, and did a big x-hatch on the blueberries, since no quilting was going to show up there!
Final step was adding the "ropes", which I had planned for from the beginning by adding little loops at the top of the buoys and along the top edge. Will be delivering this to him in person in August ... hope he likes it!