Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Weekend Project #2 in the Triumphs and Tragedies Series >

Weekend Project #2 in the Triumphs and Tragedies Series

Weekend Project #2 in the Triumphs and Tragedies Series

Old 07-08-2013, 11:45 AM
Swap Hosts

Default Weekend Project #2 in the Triumphs and Tragedies Series

In a continuing series of quilting triumphs and tragedies ... this one falls into the tragedies category.

A lovely little pieced table runner - backed with some frightening fabric sent by a friend with a great sense of humor - started out well enough. I merrily created whimsical doodle FMQ flowers and then set it aside until this weekend when I decided to bind it.

Well ... mama mia! There was some unpleasantness going on on the underside. So I decided to stitch some yo yos over the offending areas.
Oops! They made horrid lumps when you turned it over. Well, I had no option but to stitch the livin' daylights out of them.
Time for the binding. La la la la la ... all going swimmingly well Stitched it on the back, flipped it to the front, zoooooom! all stitched down.
Then while snipping loose threads I found that some of the binding didn't quite cover everything.
Well, I wasn't going to stop at this point.
This was a battle to the finish between me that that little so and so of a table runner. So I found a nice dense stitch on my sewing machine and whammed the heck out of that tell tale edge.

In the realm of winners and losers of the quilting world, there were no winners here. Well, maybe I was the winner after all since it done! Not fun, but done!

Now ... what to do with the darn thing? I think I have some room in the back of the linen closet ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]422960[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]422961[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]422962[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]422963[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails purple-table-runner-1.jpg   purple-table-runner-close-up.jpg   purple-table-runner-back-close-up.jpg   purple-table-runner-5.jpg  
Old 07-08-2013, 12:37 PM

I'm wiping the tears from my eyes from laughing so hard!
Old 07-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

Some projects are doomed from the start. I just wish I knew which ones they were before wasting fabric. It's a pretty table runner and send it to a non-quilting friend if it is offending you. My non-quilting friends (victims) think my failures are wonderful.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:58 PM

Awesome story and a beautiful runner. I could totally relate and it was like I was a fly on the wall watching you!!! thank you for the laugh today!
Old 07-08-2013, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

what a great story... don't put it in the closet... it's a perfectly lovely item... at least it can start a conversation
Old 07-08-2013, 01:20 PM

Great story, just one of those days (which I have plenty of).
Old 07-08-2013, 01:30 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

SO great to know others have those days, too!
Sometimes I just have to release tension by shouting at whatever it is that's mucking things up...."You're not the boss of ME! I'm in charge here whether YOU like it or not. Dammit!!" Of course, then I feel "so much better" for acting like a fool in the privacy of my house with an animate object......but, hey.... I usually end up stomping away, but you stayed and defeated the sucker; good for you!!

Jan in VA
Old 07-08-2013, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

I would hang it in your sewing room or put it in a container and put gifts on it. You'll have a gift for the "right" person.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:44 PM

I can empathise with you. I call it "flying by the seat of my pants". It is funny (in hind sight) though when you think how sooo much can go wrong time after time on one project, you feel like throwing it in the bin, but no, soldier on, the "not going to be beaten or waste all that fabric" syndrome kicks in. Well done for overcoming all the problems. You will remember that project for sure.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Swap Hosts

You know those folks who are dedicated to sharing the process? Well, I think I did just that!