Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What in the world to do

My step-daughter gave me this "quilt" to fix for her. Some of the seams are frayed, the batting is all bunched up, It was a tied quilt - but many of the strings have worn and broken. And, I think the whole thing is pretty ghastly.

How would you "fix" it?

one of the blocks
    Name:  Attachment-161932.jpe
Views: 20
Size:  68.8 KB

the backing
    Name:  Attachment-161933.jpe
Views: 18
Size:  64.2 KB

I just fixed one much worse because one of my sons insisted, said" that quilt has been around as long as I have been alive, you can't just throw it out" lol.I just hand sewed it the best I could and am now retying it, as you can see it has been well used the last 20 some years and I think after the repair it will last a few more years.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Maybe that was her sweet way of suggesting she needed a new quilt and that maybe you might offer to make it for her!

I've never repaired an older quilt but it takes a lot of work. I've seen in quilt magazines on how to repair some blocks but it sounds like you are talking about a complete makeover. Maybe some of the more experienced ladies in this department can give you advice. This looks like a very old quilt. Maybe she should just put it up and keep it.

I pieced fabric in, tried to straighten the batting and I used a stitch like a blanket stitch and went around the squares or in your case I would go around the baskets. The biggest help was to put on a new binding. I still have one to repair and it seems to be really old, I am still trying to match fabric.

I had to fix one for my sister that a favorite Aunt had made in the 70's. None of the seams matched and it was made with random scraps (most poly) and with no overall pattern. I had to take it completely apart, mend all over, replace or repair patches (on both sides), square it the best I could, add batting and quilt. It took me months and drove me crazy. If my sister wasn't so sentimental, I would never done it. But I will never do anything like that again.

I agree, it would not win a beauty prize. but, you could cut all the ties, pull out string. open one end & take out all the batting. then re-sew the end. re-tie with embroidery thread. use it without batting & call it a summer quilt.

I have taken the rest of the broken strings out. And can pull the ratty batting out. But should I try and do something about the ucky colors? - Maybe pull out the blocks and try and find come kind of matching fabric - something vintage? Or just do the best to fix it with the material that is there?

Well loved is right. But at least yours has some semblance of nice colors and well done blocks.

Show your step daughter how to fix it, maybe she'll get the bug. I hate repairs and alterations.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast