Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Which would you use? >

Which would you use?

Which would you use?

Old 09-11-2010, 08:16 PM

Yay for progress!! I got my first quilt quilted! I suppose you'd call this loose quilting? It's 10" squares, the outer border is 5", for a total of 50"x70". I figured it should be ok with the 10" spacing because I used fleece for batting...right? It's not too late to add more if I need to...but I kind of like how it is.

It's definitely not without flaws (LOTS!), and I haven't hidden my loose threads yet...so don't look too close, kay? ;) My proudest moment so far has been when I finished quilting and trimming the edges and folded it up to wait for binding...and all four corners matched up perfectly!!!

I haven't decided on my binding yet, though. In the picture you see the fabrics I'm choosing between. I have enough of either of them to do it. Before I bought my backing, I'd planned on using the turquoise, but stupid me, I forgot to bring the barbie blanket (I made for DD with scraps that has all four of my fabrics in it) to match the colour. It's almost a dead ringer for the green in the small flower print, but I was going for the brighter lime green originally. Anyway, now it seems brown binding would look better, as far as the backing goes, but I think it would give the border a nice pop on the front...so I can't choose. For what it's worth, this isn't intended to be reversible... Thoughts?

Ok...here's the picture.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-78209.jpe  
Old 09-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I vote for the turquoise.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:25 PM

Will it be used a lot? That may affect your decision, as lighter fabrics tend to get dirty sooner. But the turquoise would be really pretty. Beautiful job on the piecing.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:32 PM

turquoise would balance it out . nice work
Old 09-11-2010, 08:35 PM

Make that another turquoise vote.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:39 PM

I'd bind it in the brown. I'd probably quilt it more. 10" is a lot. It's at the maximum range. Though I've never used fleece as a batting, I'd probably throw some more quilting in to make sure...
Old 09-11-2010, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by wolfkitty
Will it be used a lot? That may affect your decision, as lighter fabrics tend to get dirty sooner. But the turquoise would be really pretty. Beautiful job on the piecing.
It will be used enough...it's for the couch, so for whoever wants to snuggle up. I think I might go with the turquoise anyway, though.

And thank you! I thought the piecing would be the hard part - lining up all those seams...but the quilting was way harder. I didn't think SID would be hard, but between trying to move it through the machine and paying attention to my needle, I veered off the beaten path a few times...
Old 09-11-2010, 08:48 PM

I like the turquoise but if your not confident in your binding or blind stitching skills, I would go with the brown. Having a matching border and binding will help hide little mistakes. I should know... I am good at mistakes and hiding them ;)
Old 09-11-2010, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by momski
I like the turquoise but if your not confident in your binding or blind stitching skills, I would go with the brown. Having a matching border and binding will help hide little mistakes. I should know... I am good at mistakes and hiding them ;)
You make a good point...and since I've never done a binding before, it's a very strong point! LOL
Old 09-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Power Poster

Very pretty, Good job matching up the intersections.
Just keep making them and you will get more pleased with you work. We are our worst critics.

Just trying to help, I wouldn't use fleece, batting would be much better.
I also would quilt much closser than 10", at least 3-4".
I also would use brown for the binding.
You could always stitch diagonal across the squares or at least some of the squares. I posted a picture of a crib size quilt I made for my 2nd Great Granddaughter, It is very easy. I just eyeballed it as the squares were only 3".