Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I bought some fabric from Walmart (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-bought-some-fabric-walmart-t117643.html)

Airwick156 04-20-2011 07:15 PM

I bought 3 peices of fabric from walmart, 1 yard, red, 1 yard white, 1 yard black all the palencia brand. Because I am going to make a quilt called "Ants go Marching" from McCalls Quick Quilts September 2009 Issue.

Not sure if the brand matters or not, but I have found that the palencia brand is thicker then some others.

Anyways I give the fabric to the lady to cut and I tell her I would like 1 yard of each fabric. So she opens the bolt to measure out a yard and I noticed that she had not butted it up to the beginning of the yard stick they use, she had went BEYOND the yard stick about 3 inches. I was stunned and I told the lady "Wow do you realize that you are giving me about 3 inches more then the yard". The woman says yes I do did you not want me to do that. I told her oh no she can do it however she wants to and I was just shocked that she was doing that. She told me that she is also a quilter and it makes her madder then a hornet when they measure the fabric EXACTLY for what you ask for. Then she says...And if Walmart wants to fire me over it ...LET THEM. LOL.

np3 04-20-2011 07:17 PM

Don't see that very often!

icon17 04-20-2011 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
I bought 3 peices of fabric from walmart, 1 yard, red, 1 yard white, 1 yard black all the palencia brand. Because I am going to make a quilt called "Ants go Marching" from McCalls Quick Quilts September 2009 Issue.

Not sure if the brand matters or not, but I have found that the palencia brand is thicker then some others.

Anyways I give the fabric to the lady to cut and I tell her I would like 1 yard of each fabric. So she opens the bolt to measure out a yard and I noticed that she had not butted it up to the beginning of the yard stick they use, she had went BEYOND the yard stick about 3 inches. I was stunned and I told the lady "Wow do you realize that you are giving me about 3 inches more then the yard". The woman says yes I do did you not want me to do that. I told her oh no she can do it however she wants to and I was just shocked that she was doing that. She told me that she is also a quilter and it makes her madder then a hornet when they measure the fabric EXACTLY for what you ask for. Then she says...And if Walmart wants to fire me over it ...LET THEM. LOL.

Wow wish I was in Oregon! my niece lives in Salem Are you there? So I can send her shopping for me!
:lol:

craftybear 04-20-2011 07:23 PM

that is nice of her to do that but I bet Walmart won't like it

Jammin' Jane 04-20-2011 07:28 PM

That is sweet, Airwick!!
I'm sure it will keep you going back when she is there!

Airwick156 04-20-2011 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by icon17

Originally Posted by Airwick156

Wow wish I was in Oregon! my niece lives in Salem Are you there? So I can send her shopping for me!
:lol:

Im north of Grants Pass and this happened at the Grants Pass Walmart. Salem is about 200 miles or so north of me.

jean1941 04-20-2011 07:46 PM

I had that happen at a WalMart and was glad

kathome 04-20-2011 07:47 PM

My Walmart lady always does that!!!!

bearisgray 04-20-2011 07:56 PM

I think Palencia is a cotton/polyester blend - it's usually on the same wall as the cotton bolts.

It's nice fabric - but you might want to check on the fiber content.

sueisallaboutquilts 04-20-2011 08:06 PM

Wow!!