Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scrappy quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scrappy-quilts-t135503.html)

Dolphyngyrl 07-05-2011 07:05 PM

Just curious what makes people like them so much, me personally, I don't care for them, have seen a few beautiful ones, but just wonder the appeal. Would like to know why you love them or have no intesrest

erstan947 07-05-2011 07:07 PM

Scrap quilts are what I grew up using. They are my favorite.
The other quilts a beautiful but they don't equal cozy and wrapped in love. Just my thoughts and feeling.

Essiescott 07-05-2011 07:10 PM

Erstan
That is a good way to explain them. Yes you are so right about wrapped in love. Quite often I have made quilts out of fabric that I made my children's clothing and such. Neat to look at the quilts and remember the clothing article that I had made with the fabric prior. Same with fabric my mother or grandmother had made for me when I was young.

Sibyl

QuiltnNan 07-05-2011 07:11 PM

my first love of a quilt was for the scrappy ones my great aunt put on my bed when i stayed there each summer. also, i like to make use of things that others might toss. so scrappy for me is a love of fond memories and using up all that is available.

Vicki W 07-05-2011 07:13 PM

I love scrappy because of the love sewn in every stitch (and because they are the ones I grew up with). Fancies are lovely too (ones where the fabric has been bought especially for that purpose) but don't have the memory appeal to me.

jillnjo 07-05-2011 07:14 PM

They are one of my favorite styles! I think the best scrappy will have a good design and choice of scraps, not just a bunch of fabrics tossed together, although that can be O.K. I am fasinated with the concept of color!~ and the beautiful ways colors work together. There is challenge to scrappy to make them their best. I love many styles of quilts- I like traditional and antique quilts probably the very best and they were often scrappy. I guess I love color and fabric!

Peckish 07-05-2011 07:17 PM

I personally think there is love in every stitch of any handmade quilt, regardless of whether it's scrappy or not. I think for a lot of people, the appeal of scrappy is using up little bits of fabric that might otherwise be thrown out.

deedum 07-05-2011 07:18 PM

They are my very favorite!!! I love them, and can hardly do or want to do any other kind. I get so excited and thrilled to make a scrappy! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I guess to me they give love from the heart and soul of the person who made them!
I am giving one to my SIL tomorrow for her birthday, she will just cry with delight!

earthwalker 07-05-2011 07:22 PM

As well as the things mentioned above, I just like the chaotic visual interest. I do like traditional and contemporary designs too, but scrappies are just totally unique - no two are alike. Oh and you get to break "rules" too.:)

jemma 07-05-2011 07:22 PM

cosy rainbows full of love---its all about fabric / pattern choice