Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Looking For A FAST Project For A Wedding This Weekend (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-fast-project-wedding-weekend-t139658.html)

Ps 150 07-23-2011 07:46 AM

This weekend I have a wedding on Saturday and a baby shower on Sunday. I've been working on a baby quilt for the shower and completely forgot about the wedding. Normally I would just buy something off of their registry but this is for one of my oldest, childhood friends so I want to do something more personal. She loves quilts but I don't have a lot of time. I'm thinking if I can work straight through one day and make a top, quilt it two days in a row and then hand bind it for two days, I might be able to make it work. Any thoughts?

sharon b 07-23-2011 07:51 AM

9 Patch- disappearing 9 patch- Warm Wishes ?

Jazzz 07-23-2011 08:11 AM

I tend to think rag quilts when I need to do one fast...I've made an oversized throw that my parents can snuggle under while watching tv. I use my rag quilt when just laying on top of my bed...I don't worry as much about quilt stitches or getting too dirty or washing too much. I think you can put more of the effort into the design of the top to make it really customized to her colors and likes.

fabric_fancy 07-23-2011 08:20 AM

i would explain that you are working on a quilt for them and you'll give it to them after the honeymoon.

why rush a gift for such an important friend on such an important occasion.

irishrose 07-23-2011 08:27 AM

As I just told my newly married granddaughter, wedding gifts can arrive anytime in the first year and not be late. Don't rush.

romanojg 07-23-2011 08:55 AM

If you know her color scheme how about placemats, pot holders and maybe the matching towels that hang over the oven door. You can give them the same loving touch w/less time

nyelphaba 07-23-2011 08:58 AM

How about a couple of pillowcases made to match the quilt with a note saying "quilt to follow".

scrappycats 07-23-2011 09:15 AM

You can do it! Just determine what you are going to make and then sit down and do it.

People at the shop are all the time marveling how fast I get things done, so here are a few tips that help me.

Determine your pattern and stick to it, no changing it up as you go
Don't stop to admire work just done, keep on working
Set a timer for 30 minutes, get up and walk around the house every time it goes off so you won't get stiff
Wind all your bobbins at one time - or as many as you can
Don't dither, just go with the plan
Don't start counting how many done and how many to go, it will not make a difference in how to sew what you have in your hand

cctx. 07-23-2011 09:18 AM

[/quote]

I say you can do it, you have the determination to finish up your projects.

Cut a bunch of colored 6.5" squares with her color scheme and separate those squares with matching binding; add your borders last and you're good to go.
Sometimes simplicity makes Elegance.

DebraK 07-23-2011 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
i would explain that you are working on a quilt for them and you'll give it to them after the honeymoon.

why rush a gift for such an important friend on such an important occasion.

exactly.