Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   FEATHER WEIGHT SINGER (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/feather-weight-singer-t145794.html)

sherian 08-17-2011 07:59 AM

i AM NEW AND WONDER ABOUT THE SINGER - FEATHER WEIGHT.I have one (from mother in law) doesn't jump
when sewing and is good and can sew straight. But can only stitch straight. What else makes them great, mine is about 60 yrs. old. never used much. Before I make a mistake and sale it. thanks so much for you information

craftybear 08-17-2011 08:02 AM

wow, wish I had a featherweight,

don't sell it, you will love it to take to retreats and does excellent sewing!

some of us are still looking for a featherweight and you have one, hold on to that baby

np3 08-17-2011 08:02 AM

They are extremely sought after. DO not sell it without a lot of thought.

The beauty of the machine is its ability to sew a great straight seam. Very necessary in quilting. It is easy to maintain and a workhorse.

Grama Lehr 08-17-2011 08:02 AM

You could sell it to me!!
People like them because they sew a straight stitch, and are light weight and easy to haul to class. Plus they look really cute!!

jean1941 08-17-2011 08:06 AM

I am wanting one and do not need it just want it so do not sell until you put a lot of thought into it

romanojg 08-17-2011 08:12 AM

They are light weight and great for taking to classes. I think you should keep it. At first I thought the same way but now I want to get one. I've been collecting old things lately; I told my sister that I think its because I want things in my house that are older than I am and still works. I don't know if that's it but it sounds better than saying I have a "Problem" I do like old things and I'm trying to get a machine for each of my grandkids. If you decide to get rid of it PM me; I live in VA as well.

wvdek 08-17-2011 08:22 AM

If you sell it and I had the money, I would buy it.

They are lightweight, easy to handle, fairly quiet, sew a great straight stitch, and are just a really nice little machine.

Hope you decide to keep it and learn to sew with it.

frarose 08-17-2011 08:27 AM

Featherweights go for a lot of money. An old one in excellent condition would be wonderful

jlm5419 08-17-2011 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by sherian
i AM NEW AND WONDER ABOUT THE SINGER - FEATHER WEIGHT.I have one (from mother in law) doesn't jump
when sewing and is good and can sew straight. But can only stitch straight. What else makes them great, mine is about 60 yrs. old. never used much. Before I make a mistake and sale it. thanks so much for you information

Don't be disappointed because it is "only" a straight stitch machine. With the included attachments you can do some awesome projects. Add the buttonholer attachment for beautiful button holes. It's a great little machine; mine is 63 years old and still sews as well as it ever did.

LyndaOH 08-17-2011 08:31 AM

I just bought one after a long search. Hold onto yours for a while before even thinking of selling it, for its sewing prowess and for its history.