Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: FEATHER WEIGHT SINGER

Blog Entries
    i AM NEW AND WONDER ABOUT THE SINGER - FEATHER WEIGHT.I have one (from mother in law) doesn't jump
    when sewing and is good and can sew straight. But can only stitch straight. What else makes them great, mine is about 60 yrs. old. never used much. Before I make a mistake and sale it. thanks so much for you information

Blog Entries
    wow, wish I had a featherweight,

don't sell it, you will love it to take to retreats and does excellent sewing!

some of us are still looking for a featherweight and you have one, hold on to that baby

np3
    Blog Entries
    They are extremely sought after. DO not sell it without a lot of thought.

The beauty of the machine is its ability to sew a great straight seam. Very necessary in quilting. It is easy to maintain and a workhorse.

You could sell it to me!!
    People like them because they sew a straight stitch, and are light weight and easy to haul to class. Plus they look really cute!!

Blog Entries
    I am wanting one and do not need it just want it so do not sell until you put a lot of thought into it

Blog Entries
    They are light weight and great for taking to classes. I think you should keep it. At first I thought the same way but now I want to get one. I've been collecting old things lately; I told my sister that I think its because I want things in my house that are older than I am and still works. I don't know if that's it but it sounds better than saying I have a "Problem" I do like old things and I'm trying to get a machine for each of my grandkids. If you decide to get rid of it PM me; I live in VA as well.

If you sell it and I had the money, I would buy it.

They are lightweight, easy to handle, fairly quiet, sew a great straight stitch, and are just a really nice little machine.

Hope you decide to keep it and learn to sew with it.

Featherweights go for a lot of money. An old one in excellent condition would be wonderful

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sherian
    i AM NEW AND WONDER ABOUT THE SINGER - FEATHER WEIGHT.I have one (from mother in law) doesn't jump
    when sewing and is good and can sew straight. But can only stitch straight. What else makes them great, mine is about 60 yrs. old. never used much. Before I make a mistake and sale it. thanks so much for you information
    Don't be disappointed because it is "only" a straight stitch machine. With the included attachments you can do some awesome projects. Add the buttonholer attachment for beautiful button holes. It's a great little machine; mine is 63 years old and still sews as well as it ever did.

I just bought one after a long search. Hold onto yours for a while before even thinking of selling it, for its sewing prowess and for its history.

Blog Entries
    Keep your little machine. sew with it --it is a little beauty to work with and you can service them yourself. It goes thru a lot of fabric, wonderful for quilting. I got one and don't regret it a bit.

All the above comments. I really like mine to take to classes and sew ins. I never have any problem as some of the newer computer machines seem to not like to travel as well.

JLM is correct that you can do a ton of neat things with the attachments. I don't have one but I even hear that there is a zig zag attachment.

I sewed on mine for 6 hours straight on Saturday guild sew-in with no problems other then having to refill bobbins.

If you decide to sell it, you will not have a problem finding a buyer.

You will find the featherweight will sew and sew and sew and always have the most beautiful straight stitch. Any machine that will also zigzag can not hope to achieve that straightness.

Mine is a joy to use and requires only a blowing out of the lint and a few drops of oil now and then. With all metal parts (except for the belt) there's no plastic gears to wear out like in the newer machines.

And it's cute and easy to carry around too.

Despite it's small size the throat space is only slightly smaller than my Brother that is an almost new standard size machine.

Now my Singer 126U is the one with lots of throat space. . . It is also a somewhat older straight stitch only machine. By the way the U stands for upholstery so it is also heavy duty and will even sew lightweight leather.

Blog Entries
    I just sewed most of a king size quilt top on my featherweight, because my modern Brother is having issues. So, although they are small, they sew BIG!!! They are so lightweight...last night I took her to my quilting friendship group and sewed half square triangles together while others cut fabric or pressed. They are very useful. Think carefully before you sell it. You won't be able to replace it without spending big $$!

Blog Entries
    I just finshed a double size pieced top on mine. My husband was travelling out of town, so I tagged along. I took my Annie with me and set myself up in the hotel. The desk was amble for cutting the fabric, sewing, the kingsize bed worked as the design wall and the iron and its board was easily accessible. Both my Viking and Elna could have done the job, but they are heavy! My DH was able to watch tv at night with me sewing not 4 feet from him and he wasn't disturbed by the sound. The housekeeping staff was in love with Annie too, calling her "buen bonita!" Don't sell yr featherweight you will come to love her with some use.

Blog Entries
    attachments for feather weight? Where do you get them.
    It has a ruffle attachment. Would love a zig zag or blanket stitch. It great for material my Babylock seams to have a
    hard time, heavy material. It is growing on me.

Blog Entries
    You could possibly find them on ebay or there are websites that sell parts for vintage machines. Mine came with the buttonhole attachment and a lot of feet but I don't think I have a ruffler.

I bought one at the Lancaster Show from a vendor for $550.00, then I picked up a second one off ebay for $350.00. They are not cheap.....but so worth it!

Besides being lightweight and sewing a great straight seam, they are also pretty much trouble free so won't cost an arm and leg to maintain.

I inherated one and am downsizing my sewing room so if anyone is interested in it contact me at barbswalt@msn.com.
    I am in Mn so shipping will probably be extra.
    Barb

I have 2 and absolutly love them I use them all the time more than my janome I also have a 301A and love it I will only by older Singers when I can I got all three of my at a good deal. keep it, use it love it.

I can't keep it as I decided which of the 8 machines I wanted the most as we are going to go into our rv and sell the house. Retirement is really making me make choices.

I'm looking for one. But if I had one I would not sell it.

You should use it and see if you don't fall in love with it. They are hard working little machines that are dependable, easy to maintain and love to go with you ! Went to a quilt retreat last weekend and our table of 5 was all featherweights and there were a couple scattered around the room. We all have bigger, newer machines at home but our little featherweights go with us to retreats. And if for some reason you do not fall in love with her you will not have any trouble finding a home for her. I have 2 and love them both. I bought the 1st from eBay and then a cousin gave me her mother's machine and the card table that goes with it.

Karen, Where in Mn are you at? I live outside of Rochester.
    Barb

my featherweight
    Name:  Attachment-243416.jpe
Views: 12
Size:  56.5 KB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast