Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's your sewing machine's name? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-your-sewing-machines-name-t150059.html)

txstitcher 09-03-2011 08:33 AM

I still need to name my Janome.

My Singer is named Esther after my grandmother.

My dress form is Lillian Mae.

alikat110 09-03-2011 08:43 AM

My brother is Marie, after my paternal GM. My antique singer, Lucy, for my maternal GM

cmagee84 09-03-2011 08:59 AM

My just purchased Featherweight is Ruby, after my grandmother and Great Aunt.

My Nolting FunQuilter, purchased 2 mths ago is Lydia, because she is purple.

My high end Pfaff, purchased almost three years ago,...no name...strange, but nothing seems to fit! :(

irishrose 09-03-2011 09:12 AM

Singer 128 - Mamie after my grandmother
Singer 301 - AnnieRose who knows why
Elna SU Star - no name she needs a Swiss name, but Heidi doesn't fit
Leader treadle - no name until she is cleaned. American made from 1928 - any ideas?
Necchi - Sophia because she beautiful and Italian
Kenmore 158 - Pitiful Pearl because she's neglected
Universal - no name yet, she's still in the car. I think Bette as she's the twin to my mother's White

grandjan 09-03-2011 09:32 AM

This is interesting and I will be following the replies. In over 50 years of sewing and quilting, it has never occurred to me to name my sewing machines. I think it's kind of cool, really, but why do you name them?

nwm50 09-03-2011 09:39 AM

black 1950 FW....PJ (name after 2 sis 1st name)
White FW........Lucy (name after mom, Lucille)
Newest 1939 FW...............none at this time.
306...................Detla (found in Deltona, Fl)

zipit 09-03-2011 09:46 AM

The only machine I have named is my Gammill. She's called Maxine. She did maximum damage to my checkbook and available floor space.

LeslieFrost 09-03-2011 10:08 AM

My 1950 Singer 15-91 is My Sweet Ada, after my G'ma Drake and my Mom. My parents bought it new, with the cabinet and stool, all of which I have. Both Mom and G'ma had the middle name Adelaide, but G'pa Drake shortened that to Ada!!! He bellowed it.

My Viking 5610 is Aunt Mary, because I inherited it from her.

My 1980's White is Millie, for my Mom, who loved this machine, for some reason.

I never thought of naming them until I joined this Board!

irishrose 09-03-2011 10:12 AM

grandjan, I have sewed for 37 years on the Elna without naming her, but when I bought the 128 because I wanted a machine that resembled my grandmother's, she named herself as did the 301. In my case, only vintage machines seem to need names.

texpat45 09-03-2011 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by grandjan
This is interesting and I will be following the replies. In over 50 years of sewing and quilting, it has never occurred to me to name my sewing machines. I think it's kind of cool, really, but why do you name them?

Me, too! I may call my machines some not so nice things when they're not cooperating but I've never named them nor felt the need to. Kinda like my car which doesn't have a name other than Honda. And quilts...I don't quite get naming them either - except for art & landscape quilts but why name a Log Cabin patterned quilt that's being given away? So, why do you name a sewing machine?