Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your sewing machine's name?

I still need to name my Janome.

My Singer is named Esther after my grandmother.

My dress form is Lillian Mae.

Blog Entries
    My brother is Marie, after my paternal GM. My antique singer, Lucy, for my maternal GM

Blog Entries
    My just purchased Featherweight is Ruby, after my grandmother and Great Aunt.

My Nolting FunQuilter, purchased 2 mths ago is Lydia, because she is purple.

My high end Pfaff, purchased almost three years ago,...no name...strange, but nothing seems to fit! :(

Blog Entries
    Singer 128 - Mamie after my grandmother
    Singer 301 - AnnieRose who knows why
    Elna SU Star - no name she needs a Swiss name, but Heidi doesn't fit
    Leader treadle - no name until she is cleaned. American made from 1928 - any ideas?
    Necchi - Sophia because she beautiful and Italian
    Kenmore 158 - Pitiful Pearl because she's neglected
    Universal - no name yet, she's still in the car. I think Bette as she's the twin to my mother's White

This is interesting and I will be following the replies. In over 50 years of sewing and quilting, it has never occurred to me to name my sewing machines. I think it's kind of cool, really, but why do you name them?

black 1950 FW....PJ (name after 2 sis 1st name)
    White FW........Lucy (name after mom, Lucille)
    Newest 1939 FW...............none at this time.
    306...................Detla (found in Deltona, Fl)

The only machine I have named is my Gammill. She's called Maxine. She did maximum damage to my checkbook and available floor space.

Blog Entries
    My 1950 Singer 15-91 is My Sweet Ada, after my G'ma Drake and my Mom. My parents bought it new, with the cabinet and stool, all of which I have. Both Mom and G'ma had the middle name Adelaide, but G'pa Drake shortened that to Ada!!! He bellowed it.

My Viking 5610 is Aunt Mary, because I inherited it from her.

My 1980's White is Millie, for my Mom, who loved this machine, for some reason.

I never thought of naming them until I joined this Board!

Blog Entries
    grandjan, I have sewed for 37 years on the Elna without naming her, but when I bought the 128 because I wanted a machine that resembled my grandmother's, she named herself as did the 301. In my case, only vintage machines seem to need names.

Quote Originally Posted by grandjan
    This is interesting and I will be following the replies. In over 50 years of sewing and quilting, it has never occurred to me to name my sewing machines. I think it's kind of cool, really, but why do you name them?
    Me, too! I may call my machines some not so nice things when they're not cooperating but I've never named them nor felt the need to. Kinda like my car which doesn't have a name other than Honda. And quilts...I don't quite get naming them either - except for art & landscape quilts but why name a Log Cabin patterned quilt that's being given away? So, why do you name a sewing machine?

Guess my red eye is Mable after My grandmother who owned her and My brother is Oh Brother!

Blog Entries
    Only named 2 so far Red eye named Lucy. 15-91 Ethel cause I love Lucy!! Have more to name!!!

My machine is Bob, only because of the serial number. I noticed all the other names are female, so maybe I better change his name to Bobby Joe or Bobette!!! LOL

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I got 2 machines and I call them my Brothers.

I don't have a name for any of my machines. I only have 12.

Quote Originally Posted by grandjan
    I have never named any of mine either. It suits me that mine do not have names, but I think it is great if someone has a connection to name them.

Isn't it enough my bologna has a name? Now my sewing machine has to have one too?

Blog Entries
    My Brother NV1000 combo sewing/emb is Bitty
    (does a bit of everything

The Janome is Naomi

The other 4 don't have names because they are
    "junkie" machines, like the saying goes you get
    what you pay for they all where cheap machines
    except for one and it needs to be repaired (my FIRST
    new machine ever bought).

Than I have the 2 sergers no names.

Blog Entries
    I started naming mine after I got one free from a friend that had belonged to her late mother. I decided to name the machine after her Mom. I have now named all six of my machines. I have Vesta, my Singer 3400XL I bought in 2001; Martha, my Bernina 1530, named for the former owner; my White, named Betty (someone here on the board suggested that name); my Elna, named Helen after my Nana; my Singer 401A named Elsie after her former owner; and a Necchi, named Linda (means pretty in Spanish).

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Isn't it enough my bologna has a name? Now my sewing machine has to have one too?
    Love it. ROFL. I only have one machine and it's "She who will remain nameless". Tried to name it, it just felt too silly. Then I realized that it's probably because we are not always on the best of terms, and even though I have had her for a while we are still getting to know each other. BrendaK

I have a Singer 347 named Audrey because she is the same color as Tiffany's jewelry boxes.

My poor, cheapie Singer has no name. The White 130 sitting in the garage I just call The Beastie after someone on here told me these machines were "real beasts".

The Singer 401 sitting there for repair has no name yet as she hasn't told me what it is. I am going this week to pick up her sister, a Singer 403. I'm hoping when they are sitting side by side I'll hear their names. I will ask the family of the deceased owner of the 403 what her name was - that might be her name.

Funny...I never thought about naming machines either, but my daughter names everything. Her most prized possession, a bright red metallic Charger, is named Veronica. She is now naming her vintage machines, too. The only one I am sure of is her dark green Elna Supramatic, which of course, is named Grasshopper.

Out of 6 only my FW has a name, Lizzie. Still working on naming the 301A I just got today. DH still needs to name his FW

My new machine came with the name Jane. But Ive gave her a few cuss words for names. She is hard to thread and I dont like the bobbin case. She dosnt like me and I dont like her.
    If she would stop breaking the thread we might have a better relationship.
    My Brother is Trusty.
    I am now appriciating my Sapphire much more so will have to name her something nice like Jewel.

Blog Entries
    My Janome 6600 is "Edith Ann" lily tomlin character..from back in the day..
    my janome Jem is "Hank"..

I don't normally name my machines and haven't named my Horizon.
    But, I did buy a featherweight a few months ago and named her Felicity. And we bought an old Singer 201 and hubby called her Wendy so that's what we refer to her as...lol

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast