Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Did you FMQ a French Braid quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-you-fmq-french-braid-quilt-t164338.html)

katier825 10-30-2011 03:05 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Show and tell???

I'm looking for ideas on what to quilt FMQ on a French Braid Quilt. I don't want to just stitch in the ditch and I don't want to do an allover pattern. I'm looking for ideas mostly for the braid strip sections.

Still working on the top, here is a peek at my progress. I still have to sew the triangles on the top/bottom, then I can start assembling the top. I am also considering quilting in sections, but haven't decided if or which method to use. I guess I need to decide that before I put the borders on.

azwendyg 10-30-2011 03:11 AM

4 Attachment(s)
LOVE your quilt top--It's absolutely GORGEOUS!

Hope this gives you some ideas...Here's what I did to FMQ a large runner. (I plan on adapting this design for my quilt when it's ready.) I wouldn't quilt the middle squares as heavily as I did on this one for a bed quilt though; I posted these pics just so you could get some idea of where you might like to lay out designs.

Your quilt top is so beautiful already, that I'd keep the quilting simpler, probably feathers down each side of the braid and just enough in your focus squares to accent the fabric designs nicely. I think for your quilt top, some contrasting quilting on those purple sashing pieces would look wonderful--what about a "curly ribbon" or swirls design? Both are pretty easy to FMQ, and would look great. I think I'd use yellow thread to match the little stirps beside it.

This is the back. It gives you a better view of the FMQ
[ATTACH=CONFIG]279229[/ATTACH]

catzlaw 10-30-2011 03:12 AM

Thats so colorful and cheery! I have no advice...my braided quilt wasnt as complex.

katier825 10-30-2011 03:13 AM

OMG that's gorgeous!!! Just a tad beyond my skill level though. I need to start playing with feathers. Someday I will be able to do them, but probably not as good as yours! :)

DebbieJJ 10-30-2011 03:15 AM

Great looking top, katier825! whatever you do will only enhance it.
Beautiful job, azwendyg! I've got to get off my backside and learn to do feathers! I love the look of them, but can only do a poor job of stippling and waves so far.

SuziC 10-30-2011 03:58 AM

Your quilt is Gorfeous! I did a baby quilt with the braid pattern and quilted all the pieces and it ws a pain. I would do a simple feather as suggested to enhance yours.

Murphy 10-30-2011 04:14 AM

The fabric you have chosen is beautiful and the sun centers make it come alive. What a beautiful quilt this is. I did a french braid and it turned out great with FMQ. Thank you for sharing this gorgeous quilt.

Julie in NM 10-30-2011 05:06 AM

I did a curve line down the middle and then feathers up each side. no as fancy as azwendy cuz I'm not an artist but it got the job done

QuiltnNan 10-30-2011 07:27 AM

that's going to be beautiful.

Cyn 10-30-2011 07:28 AM

Love the quilt and colors!