Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Re-do of craft room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/re-do-craft-room-t178752.html)

Rubesgirl 02-09-2012 09:57 AM

Re-do of craft room

3 Attachment(s)
My DH has finally agreed to put the full-sized bed (too small and hard to be comfortable) we have in our guest room into the attic for storage, and replace it with the comfy queen-sized bed from my craft room. I can't wait to get started! I do all my sewing/quilting in there, as well as my stained glass and other craft projects. I am looking forward to reclaiming the space in my clothes closet that I've had to use for fabric storage, as well as getting my small sewing machine off the work station that was built for my glass work. If anyone has any advice I'd welcome it! I've been doing glass work in this room for years and never cared about the space the bed took up, but now that I have taken up quilting, too, work space is at a premium. I'm attaching some photos of the room as it is now and update them when we get the bed out. :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]310295[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]310296[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]310297[/ATTACH]

SunniLoveAffair 02-09-2012 10:26 AM

I envy you! To have an entire room!!

Linnie 02-09-2012 10:30 AM

I use to have an entire room but now I have to share with the computer. We downsized our home.

mnadz 02-09-2012 10:35 AM

Love your work station - the added room will be a delight!

michelehuston 02-09-2012 10:36 AM

YAY!!! More room for fabric!!! lol

Tartan 02-09-2012 12:20 PM

It's going to be great, congratulations! I would use that spot for a nice rotary cutting table with a nice shelving unit for my stash. If money was no object, I might use the spot for a long arm machine and frame.

Quilting Comforts 02-09-2012 01:00 PM

For the most use of your space: Usually a U shaped area for sewing machine, cutting mat (even a small one) next to the machine when pressing seams open, and an ironing area (could be as simple as covering a board with batting and fabric. If you have extra space to the left of your machine this will help to hold your quilt when sewing on binding or perhaps quilting small quilts, runners etc. Having a section for rulers, and notions are a must. You could get a strong long narrow wooden box to hold your rulers on a table so that the larger rulers can lean against the wall for support. Having some sort of container whether it be a basket, tin box, etc. to have the most used tools handy. Of course if you have an area for shelves (it is good to have 12 inch deep shelves for fabric) It could be a book shelf or a closet with shelves. If you have room for a design wall it is a plus. If you do not have room for a large design wall, you could cover some type of board whether it be plywood, cardboard, foam board etc. just cover it with batting or a plastic table cloth using the backside. A lightbox is also good to have if you do alot of applique.
There are several ways to make one (check on-line) it is much cheaper than buying one. If you seldom do applique you could get by with something as simple as a piece of glass/plexi-glass with a lamp underneath. A glass coffee table works too. Hope this helps. Have fun.

BluegrassGurl 02-09-2012 02:31 PM

YAY!!!!! Very happy for you!!!!!:D

mighty 02-09-2012 02:47 PM

Awesome enjoy your room!!!

JanieH 02-09-2012 03:36 PM

I hope you have a great time fixing it up! Congratulations!