Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   My NEW sewing room--in the basement (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/my-new-sewing-room-basement-t179265.html)

40MPHK9 02-13-2012 12:10 PM

My NEW sewing room--in the basement

9 Attachment(s)
I posted a couple of weeks ago asking for advice about moving my sewing room to the basement. Well, over the weekend we did it. :) We first moved the treadmill to my husband's workshop, then moved all my sewing stuff downstairs. Got it semi-arranged, knowing there needed to be a LOT of storage. Then we went to my brother's for my nephew's birthday, and saw these amazing 'cubbies' that they had the kids' toys stored in--they got them at Ikea, so it was off to Ikea for us, since these would be PERFECT for a sewing room!

The ultimate plan is to replace the thin piece of carpet with something else--not sure what. And my DH is going to put in a 'real' ceiling, probably a drop ceiling with MORE lights.
Also, I have a wall hanging which should be coming back from the quilting lady SOON, so that will get hung up in the room too which will add color. :)

I'm going to post the pictures as 'before' and 'after'--before being the initial move of the sewing stuff, and after being once everything is in place and organized!

First picture--my table with machine.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]311574[/ATTACH]
AFTER we got new stuff:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]311575[/ATTACH]
The 'cutting table corner', before.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]311576[/ATTACH]
Cutting corner AFTER. I rotated the table to the other wall.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]311577[/ATTACH]
Storage corner, before.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]311578[/ATTACH]
Storage corner, after. These are fantastic for storage!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]311579[/ATTACH]

View from the doorway into the room.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]311580[/ATTACH]
My husband's workshop is through the door to the right of my book/fabric shelf.
Another shot of the cutting corner--put the dog bed in there for my dog. :)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]311581[/ATTACH]
In the above photo you can see a little of what's outside my room--our family room has double doors to outside, so it's not extremely 'basement-like'.

My crochet storage area--bottom is yarn, top shelf is thread (my favorite). I got a table top ironing board from Ikea so my regular ironing board doesn't take up floor space, and can stay upstairs for ironing hubby's shirts.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]311582[/ATTACH]

Thanks for taking a tour of my new sewing room! I love it!

CoventryUK 02-13-2012 12:24 PM

That is looking really great!! Love those cubbies!!! I'm sure you'll enjoy creating in there!!!

ksdot417 02-13-2012 12:44 PM

You did a great job. Everything looks so fresh and orderly. You'll have lots of fun in that room.

Tartan 02-13-2012 01:05 PM

What kind of carpet is it? If it's something you can iron on, I would leave it for now. I like to iron my quilt sandwich when I'm using fusible batt on the carpet in my basement. It gives me a nice big surface and I don't have to worry about damaging it because it's old anyways. Just a thought, of course you can do what works for you. Your new space is looking GOOD!

Juliebelle 02-13-2012 01:32 PM

Love you space can you tell the name of the bookcases we do not have and Ikea close but I would like to order online thanks

40MPHK9 02-13-2012 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Juliebelle (Post 4972178)
Love you space can you tell the name of the bookcases we do not have and Ikea close but I would like to order online thanks

Those are called "Expedit" cubbies, and the actual bookshelf unit is "Billy".

Rubesgirl 02-13-2012 03:27 PM

That looks fabulous! Love your organization & storage. Gives me some ideas for setting up my stuff. Enjoy your new space!

JaniceP 02-13-2012 04:03 PM

What a perfect place to create! Love it!

joysewer 02-13-2012 04:04 PM

Your room looks great! I love the cubbies!

morelcabin 02-13-2012 04:06 PM

Wonderful space, so roomy and airy! I use cubbies for fabric storage too and love them!