Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Harbor Freight Blades (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/harbor-freight-blades-t185051.html)

Karol 04-04-2012 04:21 PM

Harbor Freight Blades

I tried. Honestly. Thought I could save some money, listened to the QB about how some were happy with them.......
I ordered 10 packages online, more or less 20$, gave some to friends to enjoy....
There were two problems. They don't roll in either a Fiskar handle or an Olfa cutter. The blade does not turn.
I guess the second problem is somewhat obvious; they do not cut fabric.
I will be quite reluctant to try such suggestions from the board in the future.
Karol

yngldy 04-04-2012 04:34 PM

I use them all the time and never had any problems with them. Check to make sure only one was put in the cutter. There are two to a package and they really stick together.

Sandra Craig 04-04-2012 04:55 PM

I also use them all the time most are good sometimes a dud but for the price they are great I use them inaFiskars, BUT when you put in a new blade don't loose the little thin round thingy that fits between the blade before you tighten it. I didn'y get it on once and my blade wouldn't turn.

SewExtremeSeams 04-04-2012 05:17 PM

Sorry you had problems. I have been using them for more than 2 years now and they cut wonderfully. They even last quite a long time. And, they roll in my Olfa rotary cutters. They even don't get dull on my Fiskars cutting mat. Olfa blades do get dull all to quickly on Fiskars mat.

Try turning your blade the opposite direction you have it in your cutter now and see if that doesn't work better. Hope this helps. :)

Peckish 04-04-2012 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Karol (Post 5116810)
I will be quite reluctant to try such suggestions from the board in the future.
Karol

You tried one thing that many, many people here have had great success with, and because it didn't work for you, you're going to discount every tip?

I'm wondering if the nut was over-tightened. That will cause the blade to not turn at all.

donnalynett 04-04-2012 05:47 PM

I buy them 20 at a time and have not had any problem with any of them. Mine have held up just as long as the top brand names and I will continue to happily use them and spend my savings on more fabric.

Dandish 04-04-2012 05:52 PM

They have worked very well for me!

Cosy 04-04-2012 05:54 PM

I have had very little sucess with my Olfa blades in my Olfa Cutter, ditto Fiskars. Really almost feeling stupid because I simply couldn't get a nice cut. I tried the HF blades, and wow! cut just like butter!

TexasSunshine 04-04-2012 06:30 PM

They have worked for me also, very sharp, occasionally get a dud, but not often.

sylviak 04-04-2012 06:39 PM

I, too, bought a bunch of these and after trying three of them I couldn't get them to cut. I wonder if the quality control is off sometimes and they turn out a bad batch. I've still got some of these, so I'll try again. I use Fiskar and buy my blades at Walmart for about $16 for 5 blades. I was really hoping the HF blades would work well.