Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   quilt pattern for quilting class--with 7 yr olds (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/quilt-pattern-quilting-class-7-yr-olds-t187365.html)

Kim Bohannon 04-27-2012 02:22 PM

quilt pattern for quilting class--with 7 yr olds

2 Attachment(s)
I am teaching a quilting class to 7 yr olds in June.. thought I would combine some easy paper peicing with regular peicing and give them some variety, yet keep it simple... here is what I came up with:

black and white (grid represents 2 sq. inches)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]331166[/ATTACH]

and a sample with different colors... just to give you an idea, I don't like the colors I chose, was trying for a dark, a medium and a light... oh well
[ATTACH=CONFIG]331169[/ATTACH]

burchquilts 04-27-2012 02:39 PM

If you quilt for your sanity, what are you doing teaching 7-year-olds to quilt? LOL! Good luck with that! I think they'll have a blast!

Kim Bohannon 04-27-2012 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by burchquilts (Post 5175138)
If you quilt for your sanity, what are you doing teaching 7-year-olds to quilt? LOL! Good luck with that! I think they'll have a blast!

good question! I messaged the homeschool group, to see if anyone was interrested in learning to quilt... because I'm teaching my 7 yr old to use the sewing machine, I figured that was a good cut-off age for how young I'll teach... only person interrested has a 7 yr old who wants to learn.... so, there you go! lol

0tis 04-27-2012 02:50 PM

Might I suggest a very simple pattern but looks nice - rail fence - 7 is really young and the attention span is not always there - good luck and I hope they love it.

Blinkokr 04-27-2012 02:57 PM

Good for you, great job and thank you for sharing
Have a Blessed day
Ellen

AuntieD 04-27-2012 03:33 PM

You will have a great time teaching the young ones. After they learn the basics, look out, they just might amaze you with their talents! Be sure to post their work.

QUILTNMO 04-27-2012 03:38 PM

oh they will have a greaT TIME SO SWEET OF YOU MAY GOD BLESS YOU

barri1 04-27-2012 04:34 PM

I think would go with a bit easier pattern.. such as 5" squares or strips.. You have to teach the cutting technique, safety, accuracy, and the use of a sewing machine. You are also dealing with 7yo attention span.. and if are working with more than one child, things will go a lot slower. Your frustration level might go up. Have fun..

ckcowl 04-27-2012 05:00 PM

they really need to learn some basic piecing- like 4-patches---or rail fence strips----paper piecing is not an easy project for a child just learning to use a sewing machine- they will totally enjoy just sewing squares together into rows- then into a quilt top- maybe around a cute panal or novelty fabric they pick out-
trying to teach them such a complicated block (which may seem easy to you but certainly is not a beginner block) will only frustrate them - they will probably walk away quickly-
we started kids as young as 4 sewing in the sewing school- they all loved it and 8 years later all still sew--
they started with sewing lines on paper with no thread- from there they started sewing squares together- 6 of 9 kids (boys & girls) made quilts- 2 of them made purses- they designed/created themselves- and 1 made pillows- all of them love sewing- and make things alot- 3 of them have made numerous quilts-
1 of them i believe would be interested in something along the lines of the block you created-
it is a wonderful endeavor you are taking on- but i think you are getting a little ahead of yourself- and thinking of teaching an adult quilting class not little kids who have no experience yet-...following patterns will come in time...but start a little simpler for a positive experience for all concerned.

Halo 04-27-2012 05:19 PM

I, too, would go with a more simple pattern for their first project. The rail fence would be a good one, but also just 5" sq of all colors. They will have a blast laying a pattern down with 5" squares. Or even a nine patch with 3" sq. After they sew around 6 nine patches together, teach them how to sq them up. Them measure the sq & cut a block that same size & let them alternate the blocks & nine patch. This will go fast & keep their interest. I wouldn't do the paper piecing until they are comfortable with a simple pattern & finished project. A lap size would be perfect to start with.