Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: quilt pattern for quilting class--with 7 yr olds

Blog Entries

quilt pattern for quilting class--with 7 yr olds

I am teaching a quilting class to 7 yr olds in June.. thought I would combine some easy paper peicing with regular peicing and give them some variety, yet keep it simple... here is what I came up with:

black and white (grid represents 2 sq. inches)
    Name:  childs quilting class quilt pattern.jpg
Views: 1528
Size:  177.9 KB

and a sample with different colors... just to give you an idea, I don't like the colors I chose, was trying for a dark, a medium and a light... oh well
    Name:  DSCN0403.jpg
Views: 1496
Size:  302.1 KB
    I quilt for my sanity!

If you quilt for your sanity, what are you doing teaching 7-year-olds to quilt? LOL! Good luck with that! I think they'll have a blast!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    If you quilt for your sanity, what are you doing teaching 7-year-olds to quilt? LOL! Good luck with that! I think they'll have a blast!

good question! I messaged the homeschool group, to see if anyone was interrested in learning to quilt... because I'm teaching my 7 yr old to use the sewing machine, I figured that was a good cut-off age for how young I'll teach... only person interrested has a 7 yr old who wants to learn.... so, there you go! lol
    I quilt for my sanity!

Might I suggest a very simple pattern but looks nice - rail fence - 7 is really young and the attention span is not always there - good luck and I hope they love it.

Good for you, great job and thank you for sharing
    Have a Blessed day
    Ellen

You will have a great time teaching the young ones. After they learn the basics, look out, they just might amaze you with their talents! Be sure to post their work.

Power Poster
    oh they will have a greaT TIME SO SWEET OF YOU MAY GOD BLESS YOU
    QUILTNMO

I think would go with a bit easier pattern.. such as 5" squares or strips.. You have to teach the cutting technique, safety, accuracy, and the use of a sewing machine. You are also dealing with 7yo attention span.. and if are working with more than one child, things will go a lot slower. Your frustration level might go up. Have fun..

Blog Entries
    they really need to learn some basic piecing- like 4-patches---or rail fence strips----paper piecing is not an easy project for a child just learning to use a sewing machine- they will totally enjoy just sewing squares together into rows- then into a quilt top- maybe around a cute panal or novelty fabric they pick out-
    trying to teach them such a complicated block (which may seem easy to you but certainly is not a beginner block) will only frustrate them - they will probably walk away quickly-
    we started kids as young as 4 sewing in the sewing school- they all loved it and 8 years later all still sew--
    they started with sewing lines on paper with no thread- from there they started sewing squares together- 6 of 9 kids (boys & girls) made quilts- 2 of them made purses- they designed/created themselves- and 1 made pillows- all of them love sewing- and make things alot- 3 of them have made numerous quilts-
    1 of them i believe would be interested in something along the lines of the block you created-
    it is a wonderful endeavor you are taking on- but i think you are getting a little ahead of yourself- and thinking of teaching an adult quilting class not little kids who have no experience yet-...following patterns will come in time...but start a little simpler for a positive experience for all concerned.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I, too, would go with a more simple pattern for their first project. The rail fence would be a good one, but also just 5" sq of all colors. They will have a blast laying a pattern down with 5" squares. Or even a nine patch with 3" sq. After they sew around 6 nine patches together, teach them how to sq them up. Them measure the sq & cut a block that same size & let them alternate the blocks & nine patch. This will go fast & keep their interest. I wouldn't do the paper piecing until they are comfortable with a simple pattern & finished project. A lap size would be perfect to start with.

Blog Entries
    thank you all for your imput... I had considered starting them off with a simple charm pack... and have them sew their squares together... I may change the pattern a little, to make it easier for them, since most of the feedback is cautionary. This is why I love this board so much!
    I quilt for my sanity!

Wow I am way over seven and I'm not sure I would want to do that block if I was a beginner quilter. Bless your heart..and good luck....... if it was me I would start with a 4 patch or something with strips as I think a beginner needs to be able to sew straight seams........ just food for thought.

I am part of a team of 6 volunteers who teach sewing and quilting to anyone 9 years old to adult. After three years, we have found that even 8 year olds have a very short attention span. Our participants start with a potholder with one side a 16 patch and the other a 4 patch. This lets them understand how even seams lead them to two same-sized pieces.

Good Luck with your teaching. Please share the results after your class.

Nice design, but seems a little much for 7 .

Quote Originally Posted by AuntieD View Post
    You will have a great time teaching the young ones. After they learn the basics, look out, they just might amaze you with their talents! Be sure to post their work.
    Well, that's what Kim did when I started teaching her to crochet! So I expect her students will do the same because they will catch her enthusiasm!! (Auntie Ann)

Moste everyone said this already, but thought I would throw in my two cents. Simple squares would be better than triangles. I can't really remember when kids start learning geometry but they may get really confused by the need to cut pieces 3/8" larger. There is also a lot more room for error in a triangle and kids to tend to get frustrated and give up when something doesn't work out very well. Simple squares may seem boring to us, but if the fabric itself has lots of cool colors and interesting patterns, that in itself will make them happy and want to so it together. Hope that helps. It sounds like a lot of fun. I just love teaching young ones (or old ones) new things and watching the light bulb turn on.
    Sabrina

Blog Entries
    I started my little 2 yr old out on squares. I put a row of dots on the seam line and pinned them together for her. Gave her a large needle and showed her how to stick the needle in the dot. The stitches were big but she did really well. Her coordination was pretty good for a 2 yr old. Of course I watched her the whole time she had the needle. Her interest would hold till she had sewn maybe 4 or 5 blocks together. When she had enough sewn together I put a back on it and machined quilted it. I still have it in my cedar chest, which is buried in the back of a closet or I would take a pic of the little quilt for you. That was 54 years ago. She still loves to do needle work today. Embrodery,crochet, tatting, and handsewing quilt blocks.

Blog Entries
    I like that yo want to teach young ones to quilt. The pattern you have designed is nice but really very complicated for 7 yr olds. I really would keep it simple, like a rail fence or simple 9 patch. Not a very long attension span with this age.
    Save the more complicated pattern for an older group, 15/16 yr olds.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Awe, they'll have fun with that!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    I have simplified the pattern... at least now I know what is too much! lol... thank you all for your input!
    I quilt for my sanity!

But I really, really like your design! I don't think we've seen it before, so . . . Good Job!

Blog Entries
    Just came across an article in an old magazine - BH&G, American Patchwork and Quilting, June, 2002. The article is titled, "Kids' Camp". Looks to be a great article with ideas on teaching young children. It has ideas of a sequence of tasks to get them used to the machine, as well as three quilt patterns to use with them ( based on their skill level). PM me if you can't find the magazine/article. I really think this would help you in your planning.

Power Poster
    The kids will love the attention they get and the hands-on project they get to do. Keep it simple!
    Have fun and take lots of pictures!!!

This morning's news shared a story of a 4th grade teacher who taught history by having the students color a picture on fabric representing something about our state (Oklahoma). Then she had them sew the pieces together and quilt it by tacking with yarn. The quilts hang in the school until they are seniors; then there is a drawing for a winner. They have been doing this for 21 years. Here is a link
    http://www.newson6.com/story/1806628...eber-childhood

Too hard for 7 year olds - they need something simple and quick. Get them to make a pillow case or something they can finish quickly so they can see they have achieved something.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast