Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using college themed fabrics for crafts - is it OK?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-college-themed-fabrics-crafts-ok-t188783.html)

runninL8 05-12-2012 08:02 AM

Using college themed fabrics for crafts - is it OK??

Our mission's group at church is making/selling microwave bowl potholders to pay for costs of shipping Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes. I have had requests to make some using college themed fabrics. I have searched the internet as well as the QB to determine if there is a consensus about whether it it considered legal to sell craft items using those fabrics. I am getting mixed opinions and comments. I know there is a copywrite issue - but has anyone ever felt like they have gotten a definitive answer? I guess I'm leaning toward the thought that it would be better not to sell items like that - and yet I know we would sell more for our project if I were to include those items. Any thoughts???

GrannieAnnie 05-12-2012 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by runninL8 (Post 5211655)
Our mission's group at church is making/selling microwave bowl potholders to pay for costs of shipping Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes. I have had requests to make some using college themed fabrics. I have searched the internet as well as the QB to determine if there is a consensus about whether it it considered legal to sell craft items using those fabrics. I am getting mixed opinions and comments. I know there is a copywrite issue - but has anyone ever felt like they have gotten a definitive answer? I guess I'm leaning toward the thought that it would be better not to sell items like that - and yet I know we would sell more for our project if I were to include those items. Any thoughts???

If they sell the fabric you are free it use it as you like IMO!

mic-pa 05-12-2012 09:23 AM

I feel the same way, if you pay for the fabric, use it for whatever you want.

Scissor Queen 05-12-2012 09:26 AM

The one thing you can't do is say it's "authorized" or "authentic" blah, blah, college merchandise. Other than that you can do whatever you want with it.

Neesie 05-12-2012 09:50 AM

Unless you're gonna mass-market the items, I can't imagine it being a problem.

Holice 05-12-2012 09:59 AM

what does it say on the selvedge? Is there a statement about liscensed fabric. If so I would be cautious.
Call the school and ask the question.

Scissor Queen 05-12-2012 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Holice (Post 5211893)
what does it say on the selvedge? Is there a statement about liscensed fabric. If so I would be cautious.

If it's not licensed fabric the manufacturer is in trouble. Licensed means the manufacturer is authorized to print the fabric with the school's logos. That's all it means.

GrannieAnnie 05-12-2012 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Holice (Post 5211893)

Most fabric is licensed!

sassey 05-12-2012 05:29 PM

I have been to many craft shows and have also made and sold itemms made with collage logo material no problem

auntpiggylpn 05-12-2012 06:33 PM

I have some University of Michigan fabric that the selvedge edge states it is for personal use only . . . .