Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Using college themed fabrics for crafts - is it OK??

Blog Entries

Using college themed fabrics for crafts - is it OK??

Our mission's group at church is making/selling microwave bowl potholders to pay for costs of shipping Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes. I have had requests to make some using college themed fabrics. I have searched the internet as well as the QB to determine if there is a consensus about whether it it considered legal to sell craft items using those fabrics. I am getting mixed opinions and comments. I know there is a copywrite issue - but has anyone ever felt like they have gotten a definitive answer? I guess I'm leaning toward the thought that it would be better not to sell items like that - and yet I know we would sell more for our project if I were to include those items. Any thoughts???
    Last edited by runninL8; 05-12-2012 at 08:04 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by runninL8 View Post
    Our mission's group at church is making/selling microwave bowl potholders to pay for costs of shipping Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes. I have had requests to make some using college themed fabrics. I have searched the internet as well as the QB to determine if there is a consensus about whether it it considered legal to sell craft items using those fabrics. I am getting mixed opinions and comments. I know there is a copywrite issue - but has anyone ever felt like they have gotten a definitive answer? I guess I'm leaning toward the thought that it would be better not to sell items like that - and yet I know we would sell more for our project if I were to include those items. Any thoughts???

If they sell the fabric you are free it use it as you like IMO!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I feel the same way, if you pay for the fabric, use it for whatever you want.

The one thing you can't do is say it's "authorized" or "authentic" blah, blah, college merchandise. Other than that you can do whatever you want with it.

Unless you're gonna mass-market the items, I can't imagine it being a problem.

Banned
    what does it say on the selvedge? Is there a statement about liscensed fabric. If so I would be cautious.
    Call the school and ask the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Holice View Post
    what does it say on the selvedge? Is there a statement about liscensed fabric. If so I would be cautious.
    If it's not licensed fabric the manufacturer is in trouble. Licensed means the manufacturer is authorized to print the fabric with the school's logos. That's all it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Holice View Post

Most fabric is licensed!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    I have been to many craft shows and have also made and sold itemms made with collage logo material no problem

Blog Entries
    I have some University of Michigan fabric that the selvedge edge states it is for personal use only . . . .
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    Thanks for your thoughts! I, too, have some K-State fabric that says the same thing. I think I'll not use this type of fabric, even thought I doubt I'd get into trouble. Better to stay on the safe side of this issue.