Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Whoot Whoot - a new quilting buddy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whoot-whoot-new-quilting-buddy-t207067.html)

cowpie2 11-27-2012 10:40 AM

Whoot Whoot - a new quilting buddy

I'm just thrilled to pieces and had to share. Last night my 20 something nephew texted to see if he could stop by for a visit. He's dealing with a lot of issues related to PTSD so I'll admit I was concerned about what was headed my way, but I said sure stop by. I've been trying to connect with him because I think he needs more personal acceptance and support than he is getting.

Imagine my surprise when, after some small talk and chit chat I found out the real reason for his visit. He is in the process of cutting up all of his t-shirts to make a quilt. He bought a sewing machine and thread, etc. Now he wants me to help him learn to thread the machine and teach him how to sew all the pieces together. He figured quilting would be a good hobby. He said he wouldn't make anything as wonderful as I do, but he was going to try. I told him my quilts aren't perfect either and it's the love that goes into them that counts to the people that are important. We have our first session scheduled for Sunday afternoon. This is going to be so much fun!

AUQuilter 11-27-2012 10:48 AM

How wonderful that you are there not only to listen but to teach him how to construct his t-shirt quilt. I hope it will provide some of the therapy he needs with a great end result. I am just glad that you are there to help him along. AND you will have a lot of fun!

Jan in VA 11-27-2012 10:59 AM

What a fabulous therapy sewing and quilting will be for him!! I know you will so enjoy doing this with him. Bless his dear heart for reaching out to you!!!!

Jan in VA

CorgiNole 11-27-2012 11:01 AM

Sounds like a great way to spend time with him!

Cheers, K

DebraK 11-27-2012 11:01 AM

what a great story.

JulieR 11-27-2012 11:19 AM

How wonderful! It's also a testament to your loving heart that he knew he could come to you for help.

Lori S 11-27-2012 11:33 AM

Sewing /Quilting can be some of the best therapy ! A nice guide through the process (you) is a huge plus as well. YOu will both have a wonderful journey together.

TinkerQuilts 11-27-2012 11:35 AM

What a Great way to spend time together. I hope your nephew enjoys it and continues to quilt after the t shirt quilt is completed. Good luck and have fun fun fun!!!

gramajo 11-27-2012 11:37 AM

:thumbup: It will be great therapy for him and it's wonderful he feels he can go to you for help. You'll both have a great time.

Teddybear Lady 11-27-2012 11:42 AM

How exciting! So glad he felt he could come to you. We all have a place in this world. I believe this will help him tremendously. I know sewing helps me. I may not do it perfectly, but it relieves stress and in the end, I have something I can be proud of. Be sure and keep us posted on his quilt only if he doesn't mind.