Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Whoot Whoot - a new quilting buddy

Whoot Whoot - a new quilting buddy

I'm just thrilled to pieces and had to share. Last night my 20 something nephew texted to see if he could stop by for a visit. He's dealing with a lot of issues related to PTSD so I'll admit I was concerned about what was headed my way, but I said sure stop by. I've been trying to connect with him because I think he needs more personal acceptance and support than he is getting.

Imagine my surprise when, after some small talk and chit chat I found out the real reason for his visit. He is in the process of cutting up all of his t-shirts to make a quilt. He bought a sewing machine and thread, etc. Now he wants me to help him learn to thread the machine and teach him how to sew all the pieces together. He figured quilting would be a good hobby. He said he wouldn't make anything as wonderful as I do, but he was going to try. I told him my quilts aren't perfect either and it's the love that goes into them that counts to the people that are important. We have our first session scheduled for Sunday afternoon. This is going to be so much fun!

How wonderful that you are there not only to listen but to teach him how to construct his t-shirt quilt. I hope it will provide some of the therapy he needs with a great end result. I am just glad that you are there to help him along. AND you will have a lot of fun!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    What a fabulous therapy sewing and quilting will be for him!! I know you will so enjoy doing this with him. Bless his dear heart for reaching out to you!!!!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Sounds like a great way to spend time with him!

Cheers, K

what a great story.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

How wonderful! It's also a testament to your loving heart that he knew he could come to you for help.

Sewing /Quilting can be some of the best therapy ! A nice guide through the process (you) is a huge plus as well. YOu will both have a wonderful journey together.

What a Great way to spend time together. I hope your nephew enjoys it and continues to quilt after the t shirt quilt is completed. Good luck and have fun fun fun!!!

It will be great therapy for him and it's wonderful he feels he can go to you for help. You'll both have a great time.

How exciting! So glad he felt he could come to you. We all have a place in this world. I believe this will help him tremendously. I know sewing helps me. I may not do it perfectly, but it relieves stress and in the end, I have something I can be proud of. Be sure and keep us posted on his quilt only if he doesn't mind.

I'm glad he is learning to quilt, sucess at it may be a way for him to deal with some of the other things. Busy is my choice when things don't go well. Good luck to him.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

This makes me misty. God Bless you and him.
    raynhamquilter
    I hope you dance!

What a wonderful idea; he must really trust and love you to decide to have you help him with this. Hope it turns out to be a great experience for both of you. Donna

Wow! That is just fabulous! You can help someone you love and another quilter is born. Prayers to your nephew with his ptsd.

This brought tears to my eyes! You are blessed that your nephew trusts you enough to ask for your help and he is blessed because you accepted his request.

He has a goal, and the tools to reach it, plus a wonderful mentor!

That is so cool! You two have fun!!!!

Tears in my eyes as I read this!!! Quilting has been my therapy through some hard times - my son's two deployments to Iraq especially. I pray that it will bring peace and calm to your nephew. What a blessing you will be to him!!
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

Blog Entries
    Cowpie2...You rock

As a nurse working in the VA system. Please make sure he is getting treatment for the PTSD. It is just a horrible disease. Hope he enjoys quilting.

Thumbs up to you! I think that sewing for all of us can be a refuge in times of stress, a place to have our minds be quiet and at the same time produce memories and art. Your story brought tears to my eyes.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    Misty eyed here too. I know quilting, as in any craft can help one find a inner peace to go to when the world seems to be off kilter. Prayers for you and him going up. What kind of machined did he get? Featherweight I hope, simplicity at it's finest.
    My stash keeps me in stitches!

He is in active counseling at the VA and taking full advantage of all that is offered to him. Though as you know these types of issues do not just go away and take time, persaverance and support.

Quote Originally Posted by pmrosie View Post
    As a nurse working in the VA system. Please make sure he is getting treatment for the PTSD. It is just a horrible disease. Hope he enjoys quilting.

Blog Entries
    what a wonderful time of bonding!
    C9P aka Jan

What a wonderful opportunity for both of you. I'm sure you will get as much out of this as he does. It always feels good to help someone, and it is fun to have someone with which to share your hobby. When he finishes his quilt, be sure to have him show in on here. He might also enjoy the camaraderie on this board. The people here offer such great support to each other. Have fun.

I think that's wonderful! Let me know (PM me) if he needs any fabric for his stash...I'd love to encourage and support him in any way I can!
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast